Did I get scammed?

jsmorrow2s

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Alright folks,

Called around looking for a prime brisket to cook. Found the only butcher in town who sells them in my area but he didn't carry them in store. I have used this butcher many a time with great success. He said he got a case of it in and to come into the store, ask for the manager and he would show me. So I did just that and he brought out 6 different briskets for me to look at. I I picked out a 15.5 lb one with a complete flat cap and an even flat. $3.80/lb. then I got home an got to thinking, "where does it say prime on the piece of meat?" I looked everywhere on the cryo, there is not even a single label. I watched them weigh and print a label right in front of me and it just has "meat department" and the weight and cost. It's pretty floppy, which is a good sign. But my question is, does it need to have the word prime on it, like all the meats at Costco do? Or did I get scammed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 543
I doubt you got scammed. I don't picture a butcher risking his rep on a trash cut like brisket.
Seriously, before it was cool- it was trash. Now it's what all the cool kids cook. Here is a link that may help. Please note the brisket of the beef is not the place where grading occurs. Cook that sucker and quit worrying.
http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/

I agree with Adams....I would chalk this up as a learning lesson...but still cook the meat. Yes...as far as I know prime needs to be marked prime...but it looks like you have a nice piece of beef there so let's see what you turn it into. Next time, however....ask for proof it's prime...

My vote is no roll. Grading is voluntary, and paid for by the packer. If I was paying, I sure as heck would have prime stamped all over that sucker.

Technically it should have prime on it. Did you pay "prime" price? I guess if it has decent marbling on it, no harm no foul. I've cooked primes that were no better than choices or selects and vice versa.. all about that marbling.

im going to cook it regardless. i was just sooo excited that i found a reputable butcher in my area who was specialty ordering one in from chicago i guess i did not pay attention. ill being doing pork on the same day so if it doesnt come out, then i guess theres always a back up

if you make a notch to mark the grain of the flat you will know if it is prime or not.
Prime Marbling.jpg

Pretty much everything I get from the butcher here only has the label they print as I'm buying it. If it is locally sourced, like the beef I get here, it may not be going through an "Official" grading process. However, the experienced butchers know what they are doing. I have never asked for a "prime" brisket from him. I just ask for the nicest piece of meat he can get me. It has always been better than what I get that is marked Choice from the store.

At that price, if it cooks well and comes out moist and tender, the labeling won't make a bit of difference. Heck, if it comes out well I may have to PayPal you some money to overnight me a few of them to California! I pay between $8 and $10 apound out here!

It's much more important if it's the left brisket or right brisket anyway :))

At that price, if it cooks well and comes out moist and tender, the labeling won't make a bit of difference. Heck, if it comes out well I may have to PayPal you some money to overnight me a few of them to California! I pay between $8 and $10 apound out here!
Holy crap! I was in one of our local Sam's Clubs Saturday and saw 12 - 13 pound PRIME brisket packers for $2.68 per pound. The choice packers were about the same size and were only $0.20 per pound cheaper. They are Excel brand (Cargill). I guess that is one of the advantages of living in the midwest.

If it wasn't on the cyro pack it should have been on the box that they where packed in.

Where'd the OP go? Is he/she cooking??

Holy crap! I was in one of our local Sam's Clubs Saturday and saw 12 - 13 pound PRIME brisket packers for $2.68 per pound. The choice packers were about the same size and were only $0.20 per pound cheaper. They are Excel brand (Cargill). I guess that is one of the advantages of living in the midwest.

:Cry: Cheapest I have gotten here is $5.99 lb (Choice) and that was special ordering it through the Air Force Commissary and driving 3 hours round trip to get it.

Used to be able to get them for $3.99 lb at Walmart in VA.

:Cry: Cheapest I have gotten here is $5.99 lb (Choice) and that was special ordering it through the Air Force Commissary and driving 3 hours round trip to get it.

Used to be able to get them for $3.99 lb at Walmart in VA.

It's pretty expensive out here too. If I was looking at $8-10 / lb though I think I'd be ordering from SRF vs buying local

Back