Temp stall concerns

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I took a whole pork loin and split it. One half I'm stuffing and the other half I'm smoking as is. My plan was to smoke it till it hit 165 and then foil it to 200 (thanks to some great members on here). Here's my problem though, I put the pork loins on at 10:00 figuring that by 2:00 they would hit 165. I go out and check em around 1:00 and they are at 145. I check again at 2:15 and still 145. Now im trying to decide whether i should go ahead and foil em or wait till they hit 165?

Something isn't right here , didn/t knew a loin would go into a stall

Pork Loin?
You trying to "pull it" ?

Loin is low on fat and connective tissue and most of us cook it to 140 ish and slice.

I tried to cook one to 190+ one time--never waste my time again on a dryed out piece of pork.

Good Luck

TIM

Afraid you might have lost the battle.... never take a porkloin higher than 145*... will be dried out completely and tough at 170* and above.

You should pull a pork loin between 135 and 140, foil, and rest. Please dont let the temps get over 145.

Ditto/triple-o on not letting it get much past 145. But you certainly can take it higher. I've hit some weird stalls on meat (as everyone has). I cooked 2 briskets about the same looking and 1 didn't hit much of a stall at all and one stalled at 160 for 3hrs.

Loin can't be compared to brisket , as it's the definition of a lean cut of meat. Brisket is a completely different piece of meat. Loin shouldn't be cooked past 140. Anyone who says different is one of those BBQ tinkerers.

They love to play around with foiling, steaming, whatever, but the result will still be mushy pork.

Hot and fast, pull no later than 140 is my technique. If you enjoy mushy pork, than by all means, do what you want.

I'm thinking there might be some inexperience here that needs to be addressed. Like everyone says you don't use pork loin the same as you would a butt or shoulder it's much to lean. You take that hunk of meat to 190 or 200 you best just bring it over to the trash or use it to feed the dog. It's a much to common mistake that is being made. Some think just because it's pork that you treat every cut the same. Better to ask here or where you buy your meat on what to use it for. Good luck next time.

Back