• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoked chicken thigh question

Really depends on if you have a moist cooking environment or not. When I cooked on a Stumps, I never used the water pan because it stayed so moist anyway. And I've never found a need for trying to set one up with my Lang 60D now. I always find with the thighs it's more of a challenge of cooking temp, not moisture.

Thanks that was what I was thinking also there was no need
because you cook chicken at a higher temp.

I just did leg quarters this weekend and did not use a water pan. I have used that technique in the past with beer in the water pan. It works great. However, the leg quarters stay moist pretty well on their own.

I brine my chicken thighs, and finish them right over the coals to crisp the skin a bit - no water pan.

I brine my chicken thighs, and finish them right over the coals to crisp the skin a bit - no water pan.
THIS is Farkin' Great! I like to use a dry brine. Cover the thighs with Kosher salt, place in a glass pan, cover with plastic wrap (or use a plastic bag) and put in the fridge for a couple, three hours. Then rinse well with cold water, pat dry with paper towel, bathe them in olive oil, grind a little fresh pepper on both sides & on the smoker they go. Super moist & tasty. No water pan. Cheers!!!

Back