Whats your favorite ABT recipe

R

Rub-A-Dub

Thinking about doing some for the in-laws this weekend. What is your favorite recipe?

Cream cheese, diced salad shrimp, sharp cheddar, rub for filling. Top with thin bacon, more rub on bacon.

Make it a poll--they are popular right now. :roll:

For me, Cream Cheese, 4 spice Tex-Mex cheese, meat filler, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, Essence.

Posted this several times before, just too lazy to look it up.
I need to add it to my personal FAQ document so I can cut and paste in the future. :lol:

TIM

Just the basics, cream cheese, cheese on hand. Never tried putting rub on the bacon, sounds good! I have 5 jalapeno plants starting to bear fruit, man its like watching water boil! They sell here for 6.99/lb.!

When you just keep experimenting and never do them the same way twice, it's hard to get a "favorite!"

:idea:

JimT

I like cayenne mixed with the cream cheese. The peppers end up mild after cooking and I like a little heat. I also like to top with a Lil Smokie and wrap with bacon.

Sautee a rough chopped medium sized strong (not a 1014 type) onion and several large cloves of chopped garic in EV olive oil until veggies are clear. Add 1 lb of Jimmy Deans Sage sausage. Cook until sausage is done and crumbled. Pour hot sausage mixture over (2) 8 oz packages of cream cheese, 16 oz of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and 3/4 cup of white shoe peg corn (all at room temperature.) Mix well. Load mixture into a "caulk gun" type cookie maker and pump into well cleaned hollowed out japs. Use 1/2 slice of bacon and make a "turbin cap" on each pepper, secured by two toothpicks. Sprinkle heavily with paprika (mainly for looks).

This will do 50 medium peppers. My friends and family beg for them!!

The recipe I have has me cook cook them on the BBQ at 350 for about 20 mins. I would like to smoke them instead. Anybody can tell me what temp and how long?

Thanks,
Brian

The recipe I have has me cook cook them on the BBQ at 350 for about 20 mins. I would like to smoke them instead. Anybody can tell me what temp and how long?

Thanks,
Brian

I always wrap with bacon so I cook until the bacon is done.:p

I don't think I've met an ABT I didn't like yet. Some meorable ones were made with Fresno peppers.

Tilamook "Pepper Jack", hickory smoked bacon, and a little sprinkle of magic dust...:biggrin:

JD

ABT's are like Fatties, they can be left to you own imagination and the possibilities are endless. I'm a leftover guy so most anything could end up in mine. Right now I'm thinking about an ABT stuffed Fatty, but should I cook the Bacon first???
Mix up pepper varieties, Red Anchos are the same size and have a nice bite to them, Swiss cheese chunks or String cheese with the Cream cheese are great. Crabmeat mixed with the CC and green onions and you'll think you were at Trader Vic's.

100_2005.jpg

DSC03253a.jpg

I like:
  • cream cheese with a cheese blend mixed in for texture
  • crushed garlic added to the cheese
  • rub added to the cream cheese
  • barbacoa, pulled pork, sausage or crab (hey, variety is the spice of life)
  • wrapped with bacon, little rub or pepper blend
  • sometimes a maple syrup glaze during the end of the cook
Oh yeah, mine are boat style, not whole.

Here are Chubby's ABT's....he is my mentor. Full pepper, seasoned cream cheese, lil' smokey that has been in the freezer until really cold. He turned me on to the maple syrup glaze.

ABT7.jpg

Back