• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Chattahoochee River BBQ Competition

I remember the first year Euharlee was sanctioned by KCBS - lots of guys showed up thinking they would sneak in under the radar and win an easy Jack qualifier.

One of them told me they were planning on just that, until they looked around the cooks meeting and realized half the field were ringers counting on exactly the same thing! If I didn't have Dillard the following weekend I'd be in this one for sure. Take the gamble folks - it could be a lot of fun.

I dont think that there are any easy contests these days, at least not in Georgia. A lot of great teams and getting strangers to like your food makes for a challenge every time out.

If there are any of you who might have been waiting to hear if there would be enough teams to make this a qualifier, I've been told there are now 20 teams that have registered for this event. The location looks like it will be ideal and has been used as a fairgrounds, rodeo, concert venue and I'm sure other events of which I'm unaware. As you know, Tim will not be there on Friday but there are several individuals who will be helping with load-in that are experienced and we do not expect any issues - well, any more than any other first year contest. Rusty and I are looking forward to seeing everyone there. If you have any questions that we can answer do not hesitate to ask.

Julie

I was wondering if there was any new info available about this contests and sure enough the brethren provides.

thanks. I believe that we are one of the 20 signed up, looking forward to getting out and competing and a first year with 20 teams is a qualifier, right?

I was wondering if there was any new info available about this contests and sure enough the brethren provides.

thanks. I believe that we are one of the 20 signed up, looking forward to getting out and competing and a first year with 20 teams is a qualifier, right?
Yes. 15 teams needed for a first year event.

If there are any of you who might have been waiting to hear if there would be enough teams to make this a qualifier, I've been told there are now 20 teams that have registered for this event. The location looks like it will be ideal and has been used as a fairgrounds, rodeo, concert venue and I'm sure other events of which I'm unaware. As you know, Tim will not be there on Friday but there are several individuals who will be helping with load-in that are experienced and we do not expect any issues - well, any more than any other first year contest. Rusty and I are looking forward to seeing everyone there. If you have any questions that we can answer do not hesitate to ask.

Julie

Julie,

Do you have any new information that may be important to the teams? Unless I'm all alone in this, the teams haven't received any information from the contest at this point...we've cooked enough that I don't really need an email from the organizer (or their minions), but it makes me a tad nervous that I haven't heard anything from them since the venue change.

I know you and Rusty have it all under control, but it would be nice to hear from someone associated with the event and not just the reps :biggrin1:.

Julie,

Do you have any new information that may be important to the teams? Unless I'm all alone in this, the teams haven't received any information from the contest at this point...we've cooked enough that I don't really need an email from the organizer (or their minions), but it makes me a tad nervous that I haven't heard anything from them since the venue change.

I know you and Rusty have it all under control, but it would be nice to hear from someone associated with the event and not just the reps :biggrin1:.

Hopefully they'll send something out today- I would love to setup on Thursday but at this point I'm not sure if or when they will be available on Thursday.

Hopefully they'll send something out today- I would love to setup on Thursday but at this point I'm not sure if or when they will be available on Thursday.

wrong place and what not, but got my first order from the ATL BBQ Store last week. Had to restock for this contest. Everything arrived quickly and securely. Great experience. thanks

Right... We'll be coming out early Friday, but details would be nice for sure.

I spoke with Jason Benson, the organizer, Friday afternoon. At that time he had 21 teams and 3-4 more that had voiced interest. He was expecting to cut if off today.

He mentioned to me that he was originally planning to have the teams segregated in the parking lot and was now thinking of bringing the teams into the fairground area. He asked how teams would respond to that. I told him it's not ideal but we've all seen contests where the crowd stumbles through your cook site at all hours. We can roll with anything but it's more difficult for us tent-dwellers. Easy to avoid the masses with a toy-hauler. He did say he could put some "crowd-control" barriers out to manage the flow of people.

He also mentioned that he'd planned to run the teams on generators but with so many teams asking for 50amp service he was thinking of contracting in 2 500 amp services to cover power needs. Seems a little late to be sorting out these items but they at least appear to have experience in managing large events. They are going to have to have plenty of clean power for the stage at a minimum.

Beth,
I've asked that Andy Turner or Tim send an email to the teams outlining logistics of loading in, water, power, etc. I suggested that should be done tomorrow. I've requested the team list and I plan to call Tim tomorrow and talk to him about this as well. We'll get you some sort of information even if it has to come from me. I would prefer the organizer send it to you, but we'll get it to you one way or another. There are a few other items I want to get confirmed and solidified (little things like confirmation that awards will be paid at award ceremony - just the small details, right :twitch:). I'll get an email out to everyone as soon as possible.

Julie

Beth,
I've asked that Andy Turner or Tim send an email to the teams outlining logistics of loading in, water, power, etc. I suggested that should be done tomorrow. I've requested the team list and I plan to call Tim tomorrow and talk to him about this as well. We'll get you some sort of information even if it has to come from me. I would prefer the organizer send it to you, but we'll get it to you one way or another. There are a few other items I want to get confirmed and solidified (little things like confirmation that awards will be paid at award ceremony - just the small details, right :twitch:). I'll get an email out to everyone as soon as possible.

Julie

I just had a conversation with a judge (that lurks around this site a bit) the other day in Greenwood about how AWESOME and AMAZING our reps are that we get down here in the SE, and you just proved my point 100%!!!

Thank you!! :biggrin1:

Supposedly there was an email sent out by Jason Benson yesterday- did anyone receive said email? I know of a few people who did not receive it which makes me wonder if it actually went out?

I just talked to Jason Benson who is the overall organizer of the event. His number is: 770-826-7353. He said to feel free to call him with any questions about the contest.

From our conversation I gathered that an email was supposed to be sent out yesterday but there may have been some sort of issue because quite a few teams did not receive it. In terms of setup, he said we are welcome to arrive anytime after tomorrow afternoon; however power will not be guaranteed until late Thursday or early Friday morning. They are having permanent power ran in by the power company to avoid the use of generators.

The teams will be somewhat shielded from the late night after party. This after party will be held in a building and will be about 50 yards from the closest team. There is a fence and a guard that will be in place to help avoid random people wandering through out sites overnight. Very nice guy and I'm glad I got some information because I was getting super nervous.

Randy

I just talked to Jason Benson who is the overall organizer of the event. His number is: 770-826-7353. He said to feel free to call him with any questions about the contest.

From our conversation I gathered that an email was supposed to be sent out yesterday but there may have been some sort of issue because quite a few teams did not receive it. In terms of setup, he said we are welcome to arrive anytime after tomorrow afternoon; however power will not be guaranteed until late Thursday or early Friday morning. They are having permanent power ran in by the power company to avoid the use of generators.

The teams will be somewhat shielded from the late night after party. This after party will be held in a building and will be about 50 yards from the closest team. There is a fence and a guard that will be in place to help avoid random people wandering through out sites overnight. Very nice guy and I'm glad I got some information because I was getting super nervous.

Randy

I just tried calling him, and it went straight to voicemail. Did he indicate if they were resending the info via email?

No email for me but thanks for the update Randy.

Sounds like I'll be setting up my chair and cooler along the fence (and near that guard) to enjoy the late night spectacle. I can only imagine the entertainment value that crowd will provide.

Thanks Randy for posting that information. Hopefully you'll get the email sometime soon, if you haven't already. I talked with a number of people today and learned a lot of what Randy has already posted. I do know that Tim will be there on Friday morning, early to park anyone that hasn't already arrived. We'll plan on holding the cook's meeting at 4:00 p.m. on Friday unless Jason sends information to the contrary. We'll of course meet at whatever time the organizer will prefer. As far as number of teams, I was told two days ago that there was a confirmed, paid 20 teams. Today I was told a few others have signed up.

I have confirmed that they plan on paying awards with a check on Saturday and I've been told the trophies have arrived. It sounds like everything is falling into place.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday.

Julie

any idea of schedule cooks meeting, awards ect.

What is your team name? I have the list of teams but Jason suspected he left one team off the list - he said one who just registered. I'm wondering if I have you on the list.

Thanks,
Julie

Back