Going to BBQ School .. help me get the most value.

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm heading to BBQ school in a week or so w/ the #1 ranked Florida BBQ Association team putting it on.

Any tips for what I should be looking for listening for besides the obvious of taking copious amounts of notes and asking lots of questions?

I've been a very successful backyard competitor, but not so much versus the professionals so I am looking to up my game and be more competitive.

Thanks.

Besides listening and taking note, if they allow pictures take them for things that mat be hard to capture in your notes, like box layouts, trimming mets, etc. Also, breaks in the class and time before and after class are great to get tips from others in the class with more experience.

One other thing... try to find someone in the class who you can share notes with and talk to after the class. Everyone picks up different things.

Besides listening and taking note, if they allow pictures take them for things that mat be hard to capture in your notes, like box layouts, trimming mets, etc. Also, breaks in the class and time before and after class are great to get tips from others in the class with more experience.

One other thing... try to find someone in the class who you can share notes with and talk to after the class. Everyone picks up different things.

Everything that Ron said! :biggrin1:

He was my table buddy in a class we took this last spring, and it has been great having someone to bounce notes and ideas off of since then. The part about picking the brains of others there is quite possibly the most important thing he said; I learned more from picking a selected few brains in our last class than I had in three years of cooking.

Have fun! That is a class that is on my short list as well!

Take as many pics as you can, especially on trimming and box building. There's an 85% chance I'll be down there if you want to have a 'note buddy.' If I'm not there, one of my teammates will be going, I'll let him know to be on the lookout for you.

I am an amateur myself. I have taken multiple classes in the past two years.

First, take notes if you can but if you have trouble keeping up then don't worry about them. Listen to what they are teaching you and watch what they do and are not teaching through words. Trust me there are things cooks don't realize that are important that they do because somewhat it is a natural thing for them. It sounds odd but it is true.

Make friends with class mates exchange email addresses and swap notes.

Swap ideas too.

Try to focus on technique the most. Flavor profiles are important but they don't mean anything if you can't cook the meat well or trim it correctly.

Get a hotel room the night before if you have to drive far. Trust me I have done the travel all night and work all day learning at classes. It makes you tired. It makes t harder to learn. It can be done as I have done it but I don't recommend it. Our budget is extremely tight. So we make due.

If you have a question that seems dumb but you don't know ask it anyways.

I don't know how often this occurs in classes but heckling the teacher is annoying to class mates. Don't do it. I only say this because I was in DivaQ's class and she got heckled with sexual comments that were way out of line. Got to give her credit though she sure as chit knew how to handle it. She took the high road and was extremely professional.

Don't sleep in class. You think that would be a given but I had a fellow next to me actually sleeping and not even caring that he had dropped so much money on the class.

It was distracting. For me that is a weeks worth of pay to me so yeah consider that it may be the only class all year they take and that it may be they busted their arse to be able to be there.

Have fun but make sure you are ready to learn and work.
Be respectful of your fellow classmates and don't so anything ignorant or stupid.

Have Fun!

I took a class two weeks ago and the best thing I did was to consolidate all my notes immediately after the class and cook the meats EXACTLY as I was taught. So much of competing seems to be about process and timelines....if you want maybe draw up an excel sheet with times on the left side and each of the four meat categories along the top. Then fill in the sheet as you go through class.

I've been nervous about jumping into competing feeling I'd be horribly out-matched but when you put what you learn in class into practice right away it helps boost the confidence a bit.

This is a very timely conversation indeed, as I am taking a class down in Maryland this weekend. Very much an amateur here and this will be a great opportunity to learn from those who do very well in competition and also learn from others who are taking the class.

Got my note pads and pencils ready to go, and will have a camera on hand in case photography is allowed.

As Rusty wrote, I am heading down the night before so I be well rested for the class. Could be a long weekend with lots to learn so not having to travel there the day of made sense.

Also like the idea of bouncing ideas off of other students, to get perspective from others who are there to learn as well.

Divide your notebook into sections, one for each category. Most classes will jump around between meats, since that's how the process works at a contest. Taking linear notes and trying to turn those into a process for each meat is a pain. It's easier if you group them to start with.

Pay careful attention to how much rub and sauce is used. Putting it on too thick or too thin affects your results, and not all class instructors will call your attention to this.

Having been on the otherside. It never hurts to ask the instructor to repeat their process or what they just said. I have no problem repeating or going into more detail if someone asks.

I will be at that class as well, would be more than willing to compare notes as well

I have known Matt for a few years and took his first class. As others have said notes,notes,notes, and as mentioned before set your book up in categories, not by time or day. Take something with you to mark each category and to mark where you left off so you can easily flip to the last entry in each category and pick up writing in the correct sequence, each category does not go step by step to completion. Mark down what time it is when you are doing what, that builds your own timeline as you go.

If someone is in your way, move, or if that is not a solution ask them politely to move so others can see also. Some get over zealous and think they are the only one there and they can place themselves exactly in the center of the demo every time.

Something I learned in the class was to take different colored markers, or pencils so you can make a more descriptive drawing, or note as to what is going on and it's importance. Thanks Danielle (DivaQ) yes she took Matt's first class LOL.

Be there early, stay late, focus, on the class not your buddies or drinking, sleep well, ask questions and learn in 2 days what takes most 2 years to achieve.

This is a very timely conversation indeed, as I am taking a class down in Maryland this weekend. Very much an amateur here and this will be a great opportunity to learn from those who do very well in competition and also learn from others who are taking the class.

Got my note pads and pencils ready to go, and will have a camera on hand in case photography is allowed.

As Rusty wrote, I am heading down the night before so I be well rested for the class. Could be a long weekend with lots to learn so not having to travel there the day of made sense.

Also like the idea of bouncing ideas off of other students, to get perspective from others who are there to learn as well.
I'm guessing you're coming to my class. Here's my advice: Ask questions; if you don't get a full understanding of something talk to me at the breaks or after the day is done. Write your questions down so you don't forget them.

I'm guessing you're coming to my class. Here's my advice: Ask questions; if you don't get a full understanding of something talk to me at the breaks or after the day is done. Write your questions down so you don't forget them.
Yes indeed, will be there this weekend!
Thanks for the advice, I will be writing down as many questions as I can think of.

Back