Chicken Skins Splitting

gapabral

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
At the last contest, when I removed panned chicken thighs from smoker to set my sauce, I had several skins that had split apart. This has never happened to me before. I have had times when the skins would shrink and pull back but not split. My process and cooking temps did not and has not changed.

Has anyone experienced this before and why might this be occurring? The one thing that was different this time was that after brining I had blood seeping from the end of several thighs which I thought was odd as I had not had that happen before.

thank you

Sometimes things don't make sense. I have kept everything the exact same and had different results.

skin scraped too thin, heat too high and pinned too tight. reverse all these things and you should be alright, in fact you really don't need to pin the skins at all. just wrap the scraped skins tight and tuck them under and they will find a happy place to weld onto the chicken as they cook.

The blood thing....
makes me wonder if our quality of chicken we are seeing lately hasn't taken a dive with the bird flu wiping out many chicken operations. I've never had this problem until last week. All the chicken i bought had alot of blood in it. Quality was noticeably worse. Had to buy twice as much chicken as i normally do to get enough good ones

The blood thing....
makes me wonder if our quality of chicken we are seeing lately hasn't taken a dive with the bird flu wiping out many chicken operations. I've never had this problem until last week. All the chicken i bought had alot of blood in it. Quality was noticeably worse. Had to buy twice as much chicken as i normally do to get enough good ones

That could definitely be a possibility.

Back