• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Outdoor Kitchen Help

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on this setup. Please give me any critical feedback prior to starting construction.

Stairs will be coming straight down from the front left portion of the deck where the rail is missing.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My opinion? Not enough open counter space next to any of the grills. Ideally I want a minimum of 18" on both sides, preferably 24+ so a full size sheet pan will easily sit on both sides.

My opinion? Not enough open counter space next to any of the grills. Ideally I want a minimum of 18" on both sides, preferably 24+ so a full size sheet pan will easily sit on both sides.

There's 2 1/2' on either side of the Blackstone, and plenty of room to the right of the XLBGE.

I agree that there could be more space between the Egg's but I only have so much space to work with.

I can't really tell, but it looks like a bar size sink to right of the gasser. I'd put a full size sink in. Carrying full size pans and greasy tong's platters and such is a pain. I have a double deep sink in my outdoor cooking area and wouldn't want to be without them. Makes life a lot easier. Just my thought.

Do not sit the BGE's in a hole.Leave the portion to the front open.There are several examples of tis on the Egg table forum.PITA to install or remove a BGE from a hole in a countertop.Experience speaking.

There's 2 1/2' on either side of the Blackstone, and plenty of room to the right of the XLBGE.

I agree that there could be more space between the Egg's but I only have so much space to work with.

I can't read the labels, but my thought would be to move the sink away from what I think is a gas grill, and maybe move one egg into an angled corner install like the gasser and then slide the other egg over 6" or maybe put a fold up shelf next to it.

I can't really tell, but it looks like a bar size sink to right of the gasser. I'd put a full size sink in. Carrying full size pans and greasy tong's platters and such is a pain. I have a double deep sink in my outdoor cooking area and wouldn't want to be without them. Makes life a lot easier. Just my thought.

Thanks for the tip. I do plan on putting in a double deep sink, just couldn't find an example of one in the 3D Warehouse to load into my sketch.

1._ Are you familiar with the "work triangle"?

The "work triangle" is defined by the National Kitchen and Bath Association as an imaginary straight line drawn from the center of the sink, to the center of the ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=kitchen+triangle+rule

2.) How 'bout shelves&doors on either side of the Blackstone? Cooler? Or if you don't think you'll need the storage space, a built-in trash container?

Yair . . .

Too many cookers and not enough bench in my opinion.

You could cook for twenty or thirty people with that amount of hardware but there's no space for prep and trussing/stuffing/injecting/rubbing preparing salads and so on.

You need a double bowl sink with hot and cold and I have my fridge and freezer right there for beverages and meat. A chopping block is necessary if you are buying meat in half or quarter carcases

You need a second set of every thing for out there, plates cutlery, peppers, salts, spices, measures, scales everything . . . its a pain in the butt to be traipsing inside for some brown sugar or to get meat out of the fridge.

Cheers.

Well,

It's been awhile but I finally got the concrete poured today, obviously I'm no concrete finisher. The concrete truck couldn't make it to the backyard so I had to move 1.75 yds (~ 6300#) using the wheelbarrow in the background. Feeling it in my back now.

Once this is cured, I will lay some Trex decking scraps flat on the concrete and then start building the islands using steel studs. The Trex keeps the steel up off the concrete to prevent/minimize corrosion from standing water. Once the skeleton is framed in, it will get skinned with Durock and then covered with veneer stone.

I'm looking forward to getting this done.

Last edited:
Holy cow you moved that much with a wheel barrow!

You're a better man than me!

There goes the keg er ator idea!😉

A kegerator is actually under consideration. Looking at 2 tap models, just need to figure a tap lock to keep neighborhood teens from helping themselves.

Ideas I'd be toying with
Cutting/prep areas adjacent to sink, ideally with the counter cut/cast to drain into the sink.
Hanging trays etc. above this area to dry.

I'd be tempted to use the area between deck and kitchen such that they can be reached from both sides, e.g. cooler turned sideways so the door doesn't block either direction.

Not a thing wrong with what you have. Looks like fun, enjoy.

Back