Is prime rib cooking the same as a brisket

chargrill2369

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi going to cook a prime rib in the next few weeks. Is there anything I need to know or is it the same process as cooking a brisket?

Last edited:
PR is WAY different than a briskey.

Only cook PR to 150 MAX.

It's the same process in that you fire up your smoker, season you meat, put the meat in the smoker and let it cook. :p

Brisket is a cut that has to be cooked past well done, to the point that the connective tissues between the muscle fibers start breaking down.

PR is a Ribeye loin. It doesn't need to be cooked as much. Ideally, you want to cook it to around mid rare, about 135-140 degrees. Maybe even up to 145. If you want a nice consistent edge to edge color, keep your chamber temp under 275. The lower, the better. If you want each slice to have more of a "bullseye" effect, with the outer edges of each slice being done more, cook at a higher temp.

Then there is the question of the edge/surface. Do you want a nice crust ? If so, do a reverse sear. Cook the PR until it hits about 120 degrees, then pull it from the smoker and roll it over a hot grill (or oven) developing a nice crust.

Thanks for that information. I was reading today about briskets and what you said helps out. Sounds like cooking a prime rib is a bit easier to manage. I would like to try it out in the next few weeks.

Thanks for that information. I was reading today about briskets and what you said helps out. Sounds like cooking a prime rib is a bit easier to manage. I would like to try it out in the next few weeks.

You're welcome. Yeah, PR is actually ridiculously simple, much easier than brisket. Season it, put it in the smoker, cook it to a specific temp, pull from smoker. That's basically it. Reverse sear is an added step and a nice touch.

If you look down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a google search box. Type Prime Rib in it and hit search. you'll find a ton of threads on how to cook them. Lots of different opinions, but there's more than one way to skin a cat so to speak.

I did a PR once on a Weber 22" Kettle using the ring of fire method. Had to light both ends of the ring to get the temp up. But it was simple and came out fantastic! I will do doing another one again one of these days...

My wife doesn't like PR, or Ribeye!! Wish I'd known that 20+ years ago! That being said, I do hope to do one one my rotisserie, some day.

Matt

Many years ago a guy told me that you don't really cook a prime rib, you just warm it up. Honestly they are one of the easiest things to barbecue.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Back