Help with SCBA(South Carolina)

Garrett

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Thinking about doing our first SCBA contest in 2 weeks, just wondering if anyone can point me on the right direction of flavor profiles that does good there? We done several KCBS contest and from what little bit I've researched it doesn't seem like the sweet profiles are good for SCBA. Also the rules say they are meat
Contest and garnish will not be judged, so does most put garnish in their boxes or not. I know KCBS says the same thing but.......

Thanks for any and all help!!!

No garnish at all. I've never done better than 10th place in pork so I can't tell you what wins. I will tell you that I've tried sweet hickory, a plain vinegar and a sort of sweet vinegar and the sweet vinegar did the best.

No garnish in the box at all. You'll get DQ'ed. We don't change our flavor profiles at all from what we do in KCBS, and typically finish top 10. Instead of parsley, you want to make a bed of pulled pork (make sure it's just as good as the rest) and then put your slices/chunks on top of that.

^^^ That is all sound advice from Chad, G..

Stick with what you normally do and you may be surprised!!

Thanks Pat and Chad!! Guess I'm just a little nervous going into not knowing what to expect. Looks like our plan will be same.....but NO garnish.

Smokin coals sauce....and heavy smoke....there is an aroma judging criteria....good luck.

Hickory is definitely the wood of choice around here, got this also... I'll bring it Friday night and let you check it out. It yours if you want it.

Last edited:
Back