Question about vertical cabinet cookers; pros & cons of traditional updraft or reverse flow?

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts or pros & cons about going traditional updraft vs reverse flow for a double wall, fully insulated vertical cabinet?

The Humphrey's are reverse flow vertical smokers. The heat goes up between the insulated side walls to heat the chamber (from both the bottom and the sides), while the smoke and heat then flows downward over the meat and exits through the bottom vent, and exits through the chimney in the rear wall.

By keeping the heat inside the insulated smoker, it make it uniform in temperature, extremely fuel efficient, and maintains consistent temperatures without having to make multiple adjustments during the cook. I believe Backwoods are of also the same design as well.

Eight pounds of lump will burn for 12 to 14 hours with more than enough orange coals to heat and start more charcoal without skipping a beat.

I've never cooked on a reverse flow cabinet but it seems like it'd need more heat and draft than direct and so burn more fuel? Claims are more even temps?

My reverse flow insulated cabinet is pretty even except the top rack is 10 degrees hotter than the one below it. The other racks are withing 2-3 degrees of each other. If a direct flow is more fuel efficient that would make sense. I can get 10 hours at 300-325 with 5-6LBS of Stubb's and chunks. Mine is about the same size as the one you just built. Not too big and not too small. That all changes if you load it completely with meat. It took about 10LBS to cook 8 briskets and 10LBS of sausage.

Pitmaker's Vault/Safe are reverse flow. The only issues I see is they like to run hot and my Vault uses quite a bit of charcoal to initially get it to temp even after using a weed burner to preheat. Once it is up to temp, it sips fuel and I will close the ball valve to 1/3 open and it will hold temp like a champ. The Vault runs hotter on the top rack, so crisping poultry while cooking beef is no problem. I wasn't happy with it at first, but now that I learned how to control it, it's a great cooker.

Brother i have thought about it... Tyler built one out of 1/4 inch steel and it works wonderful... In fact i am going to build me one... His is not insulated but i think mine will be... I am still going to stick with 1/4 inch on the inside and do 10 gauge on the skin... Use 2 inch thick insulation the same stuff we use on heaters in the refinery where i work.... It is good stuff

Back