competition wood supplier

Probably depends on where you are for shipping, but since we're close, we use Baxter's. It's REAL nice. Very clean, no bark, all the same size chunks.

Second for Baxters, but again, they are fairly close to me. I drop by their shop and stock up whenever I'm in South Georgia. I've also had it shipped, which essentially doubles the price, but they do run specials every few months.

Fruita is also excellent, but expensive.

I've used both Fruita and Baxter. I'll be ordering another box from Baxter next time I order wood. More consistent sizing in my opinion.

No idea. I get mine from walmart in bags but now I found a free source of cherry wood from a friend whose family manufactures windows. They throw out scrap pieces of cherry wood so yeah she is saving it for me in boxes. No chemicals in them either she checked with her dad that it is chemical free. Is there a difference between the stuff at walmart and the something you order special?

I've had good luck with Fruita. The base wood prices are higher but they offer free shipping.

Also, I have seen a lot of teams using Western chunks because they are easy to find almost anywhere in case you forgot to bring your wood :shock: :-D

I'm a big fan of Fruita! I get mine cut to a custom size and Bert is super easy to deal with. The wood is always fresh, and his bbq store carries a lot of the rubs, sauces, and injections that are popular in competition bbq today, so it's kind of a one stop shop.

I'm a Vaughn customer! In fact, I loaded the pellet Jambo with wood for backup this morning, getting ready for Hammond. In a perfect world, I'd wish for less bark. The size of their logs is just right.

We have a great local source North of Atlanta (Joe's Smoking Wood). Joe always has a great/consistent product for the teams he supplies to. He used to have an option for online ordering, but I'm not sure what the current status on that is.

Couple racks of ribs & a case of beer gets you a good size load of hickory around here.

And yes for you Michigan farkers.....it's Indiana hickory!:thumb:

Local hickory mill and if I get crazy I drop it off at a local place with a kiln. All free, it's good to have friends.

I'm not sure where Elk Creek KY is, but here in Columbus there is a firewood store that is a real mom/pop place like you would dream up. When I switched to a stickburner, I had planned to order and ship when a friend told me to stop and see if they had what I was looking for. Eureka!! Seasoned a year, cut even, little to no bark, and stored on racks in splits of 3"-5" thickness. Their offering includes: Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Mulberry, Walnut, and various Oaks. The pickup load of Hickory I got was $80.

Thanks for the replies. I have a ton of hickory for the Jambo but was wanting some pecan for the Southern Q. Vaughn was able to get me exactly what I wanted at the best price.

We get ours from Smoke Me out of MO....pretty good stuff.

I have used Fruita and Vaughn and Woodshed. No complaints for any other than we will use Woodshed because we can drive 2 hours to get it as opposed to having it shipped. All good quality product.

We have a great local source North of Atlanta (Joe's Smoking Wood). Joe always has a great/consistent product for the teams he supplies to. He used to have an option for online ordering, but I'm not sure what the current status on that is.

Yeah if you are roughly north east Atlanta and don't know of Joe he is crazy good for a guy I found on craigslist. Wait.........what are we even talking about :biggrin1:??

Cuts exactly how you want and prices as good as i've ever seen. He is here online. Really nice guy.

Though I wasn't even aware of some of the brands listed and some prices are decent. If you are around Atlanta call Joe to see if he could fit you.

Back