• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Firin' Up The Fox, St. Charles, IL - July 11-13, 2014

We'd planned to be up in Escanaba for UP hog wild this weekend and all next week, but since they cancelled that one, we'll be moving over to the dark side and judging this weekend. Has been 5 or 6 years so thought it would be worth seeing (and tasting) what's being turned in for a change. Will try and say hello to a few folks after, and maybe hang out for awards

For those interested, this week's coffee is a blend...

Mount Batur Blend

This is a blend of coffees from Bali (hence the name of the blend. Mount Batur is home to the Kintamani Highlands where most of the coffee in Bali is grown), Tanzania and Panama.

For those who enjoyed the Bali Hai Blend from last year, this is about as close to it as I can get with what I currently have on hand.

Besides coffee to drink I will have a limited number of bags available for purchase for $12 (exact change appreciated). If you would like to pre-reserve a bag or two please let me know either in this thread, via PM or on Facebook.. I will hold bags until 10am on Saturday and if not paid for by then I will release them to others.

Roastin' Ronnie's Coffee - The coffee of Grand Champions! :-D

My 6 year old has also signed up for the Kids' Q. He couldn't be more excited to follow in dad's footsteps! Firin' up the Fox 2013 was my first competition ever, and I am pumped to get him into it.

If anybody is interested, I was going to bring the new Version of the Heatermeter V4.2 bbq controller when I drop by sometime this afternoon and Sunday.

The new HM v4.2 is still in testing but it looks like next week it will be available to those that would like to build one with Thermocouple support.

Grand Champion - Cancer Sucks Chicago
Reserve Grand Champion - iBQ'n@thebbqsuperstore.com
3rd - Mud's BBQ

That's from memory. The sheet are waayyyy on the other end of the couch :-D

The full results are posted...

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?id=4430

Overall
1 CANCERSUCKSCHICAGO.COM 685.0968
2 iBQ'n@TheBBQSuperStore.com 681.6800
3 MUD'S BBQ 668.5944
4 T-BAUM BBQ 667.8744
5 RACK MASTERS BBQ 666.2400
6 SMOKY LINCS 662.8228
7 DESIGNATED SMOKIN' AREA 658.7772
8 ROLL THE BONES BBQ 658.7656
9 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE 657.6684
10 SMOKEY JOEL/CUBBY BEAR 657.5880

Chicken
1 SMOKY LINCS 178.3200
2 CANCERSUCKSCHICAGO.COM 173.7028
3 DESIGNATED SMOKIN' AREA 171.4172
4 MUD'S BBQ 170.8228
5 T-BAUM BBQ 170.8228
6 iBQ'n@TheBBQSuperStore.com 169.7256
7 BREW-B-Q 169.1084
8 WILD BILLS BBQ IL 168.5600
9 BAD INFLUENCE BBQ 168.0000
10 The BBQ JEDI 166.8800

Pork Ribs
1 MUD'S BBQ 172.0000
2 CANCERSUCKSCHICAGO.COM 171.4284
3 ROLL THE BONES BBQ 169.6800
4 2 BONES BBQ 169.1428
5 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE 168.0116
6 iBQ'n@TheBBQSuperStore.com 167.9772
7 RACK MASTERS BBQ 167.9772
8 SMOKIN AND GRINNIN 167.4400
9 BIG DADDY OOWEE SMOKIN BONES BBQ 166.8572
10 4 Smoking Pigs 166.2972

Pork
1 ALL IN QUE 177.7144
2 CANCERSUCKSCHICAGO.COM 174.8456
3 ROLL THE BONES BBQ 169.6800
4 T-BAUM BBQ 169.1200
5 BLACK AND BLUE BBQ 168.5944
6 SMOKY LINCS 168.0000
7 The BBQ JEDI 167.9772
8 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE 167.9772
9 RACK MASTERS BBQ 167.9656
10 Steamboat BBQ 167.9656

Brisket
1 iBQ'n@TheBBQSuperStore.com 177.1428
2 RACK MASTERS BBQ 168.5600
3 TRU-BBQ 168.0000
4 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE 167.9884
5 SMOKY LINCS 167.9656
6 DESIGNATED SMOKIN' AREA 165.6800
7 SMOKEY JOEL/CUBBY BEAR 165.1656
8 CANCERSUCKSCHICAGO.COM 165.1200
9 Smoke, Wind and Fire 163.9656
10 T-BAUM BBQ 163.9544

dessert
1 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE 176.0000
2 DESIGNATED SMOKIN' AREA 174.8572
3 ROLL THE BONES BBQ 174.2628
4 SOUTHERN SPICE BBQ 168.5600
5 Steamboat BBQ 166.8800
6 CADILLAC JACK'S 160.0116
7 R & R HAWAIIAN B.B.Q 151.9656

This was my first first hand experience with a BBQ comp. I have interest in competing, but thought I would judge first to get an idea.

When it came time for the judges to sit I found myself standing to the side without a seat. At first I thought me just staying out of the way cost me my opportunity to judge. Turns out I became a volunteer which was a great opportunity. I ended up manning the turn in table, but got to watch much more of what was going on and get to see all the competitors bring in the boxes. The biggest added bonus was just getting to pick from all of the leftovers at the volunteer table. I did end up getting seated as a judge for the dessert category and had a GREAT entry.

I feel like I got a good idea of what was going on though. So I know have a year to practice, figure out a good name, and find some teammates.

Great job though today by all of the competitors, judges and table captains, organizers, and KCBS staff. A very nice event.

This was my first first hand experience with a BBQ comp. I have interest in competing, but thought I would judge first to get an idea.

When it came time for the judges to sit I found myself standing to the side without a seat. At first I thought me just staying out of the way cost me my opportunity to judge. Turns out I became a volunteer which was a great opportunity. I ended up manning the turn in table, but got to watch much more of what was going on and get to see all the competitors bring in the boxes. The biggest added bonus was just getting to pick from all of the leftovers at the volunteer table. I did end up getting seated as a judge for the dessert category and had a GREAT entry.

I feel like I got a good idea of what was going on though. So I know have a year to practice, figure out a good name, and find some teammates.

Great job though today by all of the competitors, judges and table captains, organizers, and KCBS staff. A very nice event.

If when you start looking for a team, I'd be interested. I been wanting to get involved in the local comps for a while now

I heard that they had more judges than seats. I'm glad that you were able to get involved and enjoyed the experience!

If when you start looking for a team, I'd be interested. I been wanting to get involved in the local comps for a while now

I don't know if either of you saw this or not, but a group of local Brethren are getting together on August 10th for a day of fun and BBQ. It would be great if you guys can join us!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190386

Congrats to all! Looks like a good Brethren showing.
Boy it really is a game of inches isn't it?! It must be maddening to wonder what you could have done to get one more point. And what's up with all the decimal places? Can judges give you scores out to a ten thousandth of a point or is it some kind of averaging that's happening?
And do you ever get to try the food of the other contestants? Or does everyone guard their secrets? So intriguing...

Last edited:
Congrats to all! Looks like a good Brethren showing.
Boy it really is a game of inches isn't it?! It must be maddening to wonder what you could have done to get one more point. And what's up with all the decimal places? Can judges give you scores out to a ten thousandth of a point or is it some kind of averaging that's happening?
And do you ever get to try the food of the other contestants? Or does everyone guard their secrets? So intriguing...

Judges score in whole number from 2-9, but each scoring element (appearance, taste and tenderness) is multiplied by a weighting factor that goes out to 4 decimal places. Even with that, there are quite a few ties.

Most teams do not give out samples, especially to other teams. Even if they did, their recipe probably won't come out the same in someone else's smoker. Also, if I tell you that I use JimBob's Seasoning and JoeBob's Seasoning on my chicken and then put on BillyBob's sauce cut with apple juice, that doesn't tell you how much of each I use.

Back