Buying vs Making Rubs

I like my own rub, since the ingredient list is shorter without additives. Lots of stuff in commercial products that I personally like to avoid when I can. Personal preference.

I have a couple store bought rubs but prefer to experiment with my own stuff. I am building a "wall of spice" to hold about 48 1/2 pint and pint mason jars with spices

weather you buy them or make them, don't waste them. mix your rub with a little worshtershire sauce or yellow mustard to your prefered ratio and smear it on. use only what you need!

weather you buy them or make them, don't waste them. mix your rub with a little worshtershire sauce or yellow mustard to your prefered ratio and smear it on. use only what you need!

Along the lines of this^^^^ Does anyone prefer to make a paste vs just rubbing it on the meat (oiled or otherwise)? pros/cons?

Since I started dry brining my stuff (putting just salt on the meat the night before) I now make my own rubs. That way they dont have anymore salt in them. Dont want it to be to salty! but I do keep a couple of store bought bottles around for when friends show up with big hunks of meat asking can I smoke it for them.

I like to try commercial rubs here and there, but I prefer mine for many reasons.

Mainly, I created the recipe to be what I want without anything I didn't.
Also, there's the pride factor - if the food is good, how much credit do you take if it's not your recipe?
All 4 of my various rubs are my own creation, as well as 3 sauces. When it's good, I feel better knowing it's all me (and the recently deceased cow/pig/chicken/fish/etc)

Along the lines of this^^^^ Does anyone prefer to make a paste vs just rubbing it on the meat (oiled or otherwise)? pros/cons?
I oil lean meats, such as chicken breasts and pork loin, to help seal in moisture. Otherwise, I apply rub on the meat without any other coating. The moist meat holds the rub just fine.

Man I wish I had that kind of space. My spices come in 3 rows on a shelf: often used, sometimes used, rarely used.

For what it's worth, back before I started making rubs commercially, I would never buy commercial rubs either. They were always too salty, or not flavorful enough, so I always made my own. Which, I suppose, is what led me to where I am today...

So, I am never offended when folks say they'd rather make their own rubs, because I feel exactly the same way! :becky: :becky:

I now buy all of my rubs, after years of trying to reach the apex of rubs, I gave up. Yes, anyone can make a rub, but making balanced rubs with multi-layers of flavor at home is not an easy task. You will even find that many pit masters use commercially prepared rubs in competitions.

The commercial rub is already made, tested, tried, and proven to be a winner.

That's my thought process in buying rubs instead of trying to recreate the wheel

Back