Pulled or chopped?

Chop or Pull

• Total voters

PimpSmoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've noticed that alot of Carolina style pork is chopped instead of pulled. I was wondering what the Brethren opinions were on this. Come all ye farkers and vote!!

And if you have any family history of being taught to chop instead of pull, I'd be interested in those stories as well.

I always pull mine. I like being able to put my hands on the meat.:rolleyes:

On the rare occasion I do a butt, I always just pull out the bone, squish the different muscles flat and chop the longer strands to make them manageable. When done to 200 or near it, not much actual pulling is required.

Always add a nice vinegar/brown sugar/black and red pepper finishing sauce before the red stuff.

I love it pulled, it comes a very close favourite after Brisket.

Stab that butt with a pair of tongs, grab the bone and give it a few shakes. Meat falls apart as you separate the fat out.

Put it in a pan and cover it with foil and drop it from 6' or so and easy pulled pork. That works great at around 200 degrees.

SP said:
Put it in a pan and cover it with foil and drop it from 6' or so and easy pulled pork. That works great at around 200 degrees.

You might be onto something there!

I only chop mine if I miss my end temperature. Pulled all the way for me.

My thought is, if it's tender enough to pull, why bother chopping?

I lived in Mount Olive, NC for a while and met some bbq pork masters. For the most part they chopped. I believe that chopping allows for a more even distribution of the crunchie good stuff as well as the fat which is integral to taste and consistency and which disappears easily into the chopped pork. In other words I chop.

I've always pulled. That's when I pick out the big chunks of fat.

If you cook it right, it is too hard to chop it.

Chopped it what you do when it's undercooked and doesn't pull easily:rolleyes:

I have "thunk" it through now and have decided that I use both techniques simultaneous. I pull/smush the meaty portions and I chop the crunchies and then I rough chop it all together. So both.

I've always pulled, 'cause that's the way I thought it was 'supposed' to be :-D However I've thought about chopping, because we usually make sammich's and sometimes the meat fibers are long and will kind of pull the sammich apart, lunch down the front of the shirt mod :biggrin:

So, do you think I haven't gotten to the totally fall apart stage? Seems pretty tender to me, tastes great, but the fibers can still cause the sammich to pull apart.

What do you think?

70% of the time pulled and 30% of the time chopped for me.

What Arlin Said. I may chop a bit to reduce the longer strands, like KC said. Otherwise pulled all he way.

If you have to chop it, then you probably didn't cook it long enough. Pull my pork, please.

Back