UDS lid alternatives

SmokinBerto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know a lot of folks use Weber lids for their UDS's, I have one on my present one. What other companies make a domed 23" lid? When I picked up my last drum, from a friend of mine's tire store. There was a grill there that had approximately the same size lid. I had to explain what I was going to do with the empty oil drum. I really didn't pay attention to the brand. I'll have to call him later & ask.
I'm going on a scavenger hunt at the dump today for lids when I drop off some scrap metal.
Weber grills are as scarce as hens teeth around here, used ones, for sale. And I'd rather not buy a whole grill again, just for the lid.
I attempted buying just a lid from Weber. They wanted the serial number from the grill I owned. At the time I didn't own one. They said they only sold replacement lids for existing grills. I'm thinking another company may be more flexible in selling just lids.
I know a number of people use a flat lid, but I like the additional cooking space added with the dome.
My alternate intention is to cut another barrel 1/3 down attach it to a whole barrel giving me additional space. My problem here is cutting the barrel square. I used an air hammer with a sheet metal cutter to cut the lids off. Not too using the rim as a guide it went well. Without a guide I'm afraid the cut would be anything but straight. Any suggestions?
I'm sorry for the ramblin'. I've never been diagnosed, but I'm certain I have ADD:wink:

Actually getting a straight line around a barrel isn't all that tough to do. There are a lot of ways, probably the most simple and accurate would be to make a upside down T with a 2 in nail pounded into the side at the height you want, cut/grind the head off the nail leaving a sharp scribe edge. Now just go around your drum sitting upside down on flat ground and scribe your line for your lid, you could follow that with a grease marker just above your cut scribe to make it easy to see. I have other methods if you need.

Buy a cheap 4.5" or 5" angle grinder and some cut off discs. With a bit of practice you can cut an extremely straight line. The cut off discs will go through that barrel like a hot knife through butter

http://turnerbiodiesel.com/8_gallon_55_gallon_drum_cone

lafamilias.jpg

almostdone2.jpg

^^^ beat me to it Smokerking! Also I think I heard someone say they used a large wok one time. I bit the bullet and bought the wally world el cheapo 22.5 in grill. I used both top and bottom on a pair of my drums and got a cooking grate.

Back