offset with gravity fed system??

Stumps platinum, charcoal fed reverse flow offset,
stumps monster wood or charcoal fed offset.

I have a platinum 5 on my catering rig, its a beast for sure,

While not gravity fed, the Peoria Meat Monster is an example of offset with a long burn efficient design. You do see these occasionally at comps, most notably - Quau.

Seems to work OK for Mike.

so is this a gravity fed stickburner?

Like you pile sticks in the chute and they feed automatically as it burns like a charcoal gravity fed unit?

so is this a gravity fed stickburner?

Like you pile sticks in the chute and they feed automatically as it burns like a charcoal gravity fed unit?

The Pitmaker one has the regular fire box for sticks and the other end has the gravity fed charcoal/lump system on it. I would like to have the gravity fed system above the original fire box so you could use both in one fire pit.

I have a Stumps Platinum 5 cooker. It is a Reverse Flow, Gravity Fed, Offset. It is his mid-size Platinum model.

The Pitmaker one has the regular fire box for sticks and the other end has the gravity fed charcoal/lump system on it. I would like to have the gravity fed system above the original fire box so you could use both in one fire pit.

ok that makes sense

thanks

Platinum 6. I would consider it one of the best competition smokers if we were talking whole hog and MBN. For KCBS it's just too damn big.

9886421206_be01d7c33b_z.jpg

Google Peoria Cookers, the meat monster with the external firebox is most similar to a stick burner, while the meat monster with the internal fire box is most similar to a insulated vertical but the fir box is on the inside of the unit. Both cookers are controlled by a guru.

Yes Mike has done very well with his meat monster.

To address the OP's question - I think what you are really asking is why there is no *stick burner* and gravity feed combination.

For a stick burner, the location of the firebox is not as significant as the fact that they are high airflow cookers. In contrast, the tightly sealed environment of gravity feed systems represent a much lower airflow system. The two really aren't compatible. Assuming you could figure out the mechanics of such a machine, the end product would not come out the same as a traditional high airflow stick burner.

I originally wanted to do that, and not have a reverse flow, but just a standard offset Sniper with a Gravity feed connected to the standard firebox. (Full Auto Sniper!) From a labor and cost standpoint, this would have been easier.

However, Doug was very specific about wanting the reverse flow system for his offset, and getting the even heating on that system. On mounting the Gravity Feed system at the opposite end, we wanted to accomplish two things: 1.) We wanted to duct the heat from the gravity feed to the top of the cooking chamber to actually get a little different cooking characteristics (ala similar to a very well known offset maker's pit who will go unnamed here, but whom we respect). There is a very specific duct system that takes the heat from the entry point of the gravity feed into the cooking chamber and pushes it almost directly upward, so infra-red energy doesn't just fry whats right next to it on the closest cooking grate. 2.) We didn't want to overwork the fuel inside of the gravity feed system, by making it have to make the turn around the reverse flow plate.

So for the Ribs Within build we went above and beyond and basically built an awesome Reverse Flow Sniper (which we are thinking about offering as a standard option, if we get more requests for it), and then gave a separate Gravity Feed System for the long haul. So you can get the heavy smoke of an offset firebox pit, with the long term maintenance free cooking of a gravity feed system in one pit. The best of both worlds. Doing it this was was about double the work of a normal Sniper and has the corresponding price point, but it is a very versatile system... Thanks for the interest, guys!

So is adding a gravity fed system on top of the original (Insulated) firebox a doable thing and what are your thoughts on that system for being able to burn sticks but for long cooks being able to "Set it and forget it" type of cook?

Sorry for the late reply. Basically, we worked on a specific shaped coal firing grate that could feed into the stick burning grate. It was complicated and we didn't build it, but that was our original design. I feel it could work, but is a time consuming and expensive project. We'll try it out one of these days, I'm sure. Right now, we are prototyping three new different types of smoker models to offer into standard production, so we definitely have our hands full in that arena, plus our standard production.

Back