HELP... Is My Chuck Salvagable

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Smoking my first chuck roast on PBC today. I wrapped it in foil at 170 degrees and added a bit of beef broth. I got side tracked with yard work and by the time I got back to the pit the internal temp was 211.

Having guest in an hour or so. I put the still wrapped chuck in a cooler with some towels. What are the chances that it will be moist and tasty? Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the best of the situation let me know. Thanks for all for your help. This is the best site to come to for helpful advice (and to share a joke or two).

What's your goal of the chuck roast? Are you pulling it? Or slicing? I often cant' pull a chuck till it's well past 208 or 9, so if you're going that route, you're probably safe. Drain the liquid in a container, pull the chuck, then pour the reserved juices over the pulled meat.

I was thinking I would try slicing but not opposed to pulled. So it looks like we will be having pulled tonight. Thanks for the suggestion on using the reserved juice and for you rapid response!

I am betting it will be just fine. If it is dry, offer sauce on the side.

Will definitely be offering sauce on the side. Thanks all!

What's the problem? It's probably right where you want it.

Just a FYI for anyone thinking about cooking a Chuck roast for pulled beef. They don't become probe tender till 205-210 internal temp in my experience. 211 is probably going to be awesome. The only thing I would of done different is be sure to vent the roast before the rest period to keep it from too much carry over cooking.

Well it turned out to be pretty juicy and quite tasty. Everyone seemed to liked it. Thanks everyone for your help and support.

Good to here it all turned out well but I am curious did you wind up with pulled or did it slice? Any pics?

Good to here it all turned out well but I am curious did you wind up with pulled or did it slice? Any pics?

I pulled it and for some parts did a bit of chopping. And of course forgot to take any pics. Thanks.

Back