How do you transport your UDS/UDS's

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Mine have taken a few trips in the back of my truck. Just looking for more options than what I have tried. Almost lost one lid once even with bungee cords holding it down. The bungees slipped during the travel. Usually it is not a problem, just looking for other ideas.
Thanks

i took mine to the the cabin and forgot to tie it down. when I started up the grade it fell over, the "thunk" was a horrible sound- kind like dropping your baby. Ended up making the rim more oval than round. I was able to bend it back in shape but it still was awful dumb of me. I now use ratchet straps through the side and top handles.

I have to original ring to lock my lid down with all the goodies inside.

I do not have handles , yet, so a handtruck is in order.

I haven't had any problems with the back of the truck with ratchet straps but I could always put the ring back on the lid just to be safe.

While standing next to the UDS, I flip open my wallet and say, beam us up Scotty. This has not worked out so far, but what the heck its fun. :rolleyes:

If you have a dome lid turn it upside down before strapping it down, if it is a flat lid just set down on the floor of the truck and lay something heavy on it, also put your wood and or fuel inside the drum keeping it low down inside. I only have used bungee cords with no problems.
Dave

I have the ring for the flat lid, but it won't fit the dome lid. I was going to just keep the lids down in the bed of the truck, but when traveling 1200 miles, chances of rain etc. Just wondering if anyone came up with "why didn't I think of that" yet.

Gosh, its a UDS. Why don't ya'll just hook it up with a chain and drag it along behind the pickup?:rolleyes:

I don't care for bungee cords. Rope for me. Tied to right hold down in the bed, through the right handle, through the lid handle, through the left handle and to the left bed hold down. Pedal to the metal.......no problems. I always have the lid clamp on.

Back of my pickup near the cab. No ratchet straps!!!! Haven't had a problem. If you are traveling to cook, drop your fuel, chimney, basket, grates, heating stone in the bottom. It won't turn over with weight in the lower half.

Gosh, its a UDS. Why don't ya'll just hook it up with a chain and drag it along behind the pickup?:rolleyes:

Cause we ain't gettin married :becky:

I haven't put handles on my UDS's as of yet, which I know will help with strapping them down.

Id take a look at the cargo carriers. I picked up an aluminum wheel chair carrier from Harbor Freight and carry my 300lb Humphreys on it. It would easily hold 2 UDS for the guys with Sport Utilities and keep the interior clean.

With all the work we put into the ones I work with, we worry about transport often. With firebricks in the 55's they won't blow over or start flying like in a pickup or trailer. But moving and transport must be done in a manner not to ruin the cooker or others if or when parts start flying. I use the flat top lids with a stack so using the heavy duty lock ring with a bolt keeps the components all where they will be there when you get there. And we take them off the dollies usually when transporting which helps a lot. For some designs one might use a outdoor cover to act as an barrier so using ratchet straps wouldn't hurt things. To those that use a dome lid, might turn upside down and strap down in an x from floor and over. When I move mine I like to cover with a moving blanket and strap in x pattern. They're heavy but will become a heavy missile on panic stops. Also not knowing what barrels or drums one has it's best to measure diameter so after you get there you can check and adjust so the lid seals. Seen this many times and guys had control issues or leaks down the sides and all it was it was out of round. Rubber mallet and done. Glad guys are thinking about this ahead of time instead learning the hard way. Steve.

Use ratchet straps not bungees.

I put the locking lid ring on for transport in back of my truck but don't really need it cuz I dropped my lid on edge one time and it fits TIGHT now.

I am a snowbird, so when I travel I lay it crosswise at the front of the pickup bed, and ratchet strap it down with all my goodies inside. I have a 5th wheel camper and have never had an issue between Kansas and Arizona.

Back