Competing at different altitudes

bradgreer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello brethren.
I was wondering if you change your contest cooking times when you compete at different altitudes?
It's about 4500 ft. where I live, but some contests I want to try are below 1000 ft. Would I need to change my times?

Thanks,

I looked into this last year and what I was able to figure out is that it really doesn't change much until you get to the 8-10k elevations. At those you have to start paying attention to fire management as the air is so much thinner.

I have found that with each 1k increase in altitude, my cooking times extend out somewhat and I need to cook to a higher internal temp, typically 5 to 10 degrees to get the same tenderness at or below 1k feet which is where most of my contests are. In addition, the final product at altitude, tends to be drier.

The good news for you is, shorter cook times and more moist product.

Yeah Rub, I knew you were in my neck of the woods and man did I want to go to your class but I was out of town.:cry:
How much additional time do you think you might have needed?

I've competed at them all. I'll be honest and say I didn't really notice much of a difference. I think I allowed a little more time, but nothing drastic. I think it takes more fuel, but nothing too crazy. I've cooked with pellets and a Jambo at higher elevations.

Yeah Rub, I knew you were in my neck of the woods and man did I want to go to your class but I was out of town.:cry:
How much additional time do you think you might have needed?

I think if I had an additional 45-60 minutes I would have been golden. I should have known better. Always better to be ready a little earlier than later...

I cooked at Conifer CO for the first time this year (alt 8,200). My house is at 6,000 so I didn't think much of it, but the brisket never got fully done. Afterward, I talked to 4 other people with the same "symptoms" as mine, and the only thing I could attributed it to was altitude. The funny thing was all the other meats cooked just like they do lower. If we do Conifer next year, I might give the brisket a little more time.

Back