UDS - must remove epoxy drum liner?

FortWorthy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Is it absolutely necessary to remove the liner from the barrel for making an UDS?
I've got a nice (and free!) 55gallon barrel and it's got the orange/reddish epoxy liner. I've read how difficult it is to remove this type of liner.
So I read up on the epoxy liner, or "Fusion Bonded Epoxy Coating" as it's also known as I believe, and it really sounds like it'll easily withstand temperatures I'd expect to achieve - say up to 400F.

Has anyone *not* removed the epoxy liner? Curious as to other people's experience with this.
Thanks in advance!

I have seen drums made where the liner was not removed. I would remove it, as I would always be a little concerned about what is outgassing from that stuff

Sandblasted gets it out a EASY. Just drop it off and pick it up a few days later - see Easy.

You can burn and grind and wipe and burn and grind and wipe. Get yourself some beer to drink while you do it. Make sure you drill the intakes before burning.

I agree with Landarc, if and its a big if, it stands up to the temp, how healthy would it be, and would it make your food taste like you used crushed lego's as your rub. I would remove it, or if its cheaper buy one with out the lining.

Thank you all for the input, I do appreciate it.
Think I'll relegate this drum to compost duty and pick up an un-lined barrel on craig's list.
Thanks again!

Naah leave it in. Be advised your JohnThomas might turn green and fall off after consuming food cooked in it and you could develop a drooling problem.

I agree with Landarc, if and its a big if, it stands up to the temp, how healthy would it be, and would it make your food taste like you used crushed lego's as your rub. I would remove it, or if its cheaper buy one with out the lining.

Crushed Legos? lol

I think it would depend on what it was used to store. If it's a food grade epoxy, outgassing shouldn't be a problem until about 6-700 degrees. If you don't know, ya gotta remove it.

I removed most of mine with two hot burnouts using some oak pallets for fuel. What was left, was left. It never gets anywhere near hot enough to outgass while using it. I can put my hands on the side of it when it has been smoking for over 5 or 6 hours, without blistering. Granted it is too hot near the top to leave your hands on it for an extended time, but it will not blister if done quickly. If it was hot enough to outgass any fumes, it would blister the paint, and your hand if you put it on the outside of it.

Not really sure what a John Thomas is, but after 3 years, I have no missing parts, other than my memory? :becky:

Blessings,

Omar

Back