chicken wings and question

Bob E Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I smoked wings tonight on my MES ( I wanted to check my MES for an upcoming fish smoking project)
I had 3 wings, out of 5 lbs, that would not go above 145F.
Has anyone else had wings that resist cooking?
They remained below 145F after:
2.5 hours at 225F, then into the oven at 300 for 15 minutes .
The others had reached 168F before the oven
Needless to say they went to the garbage.
The other 60 wings helped us forget about the waste.
A small sampling for work.

20140925_003333_zpsa3038f3f.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

It was 1 drum, 2 wings. I was checking drumettes on the meatiest part, and the wingette between the bones. I made sure I avoided the joints and bones.
After I found the first one, I checked every wing.

I've never have had that happen when cooking wings. I would have at least cut it open to see if they were done. Seems odd that it was just 3 pieces. Maybe someone else will have a theory.

I've never had that happen either. But I never temp my wings, I always cook at a higher temp than what you did and cook by time and visual/feel. Do you pull the meat off the bone to even test it?

I cook them a little higher than what you did and noticed before that they will vary in temp.They usually vary about 10 degrees here and there, but I never have had them "stall" like that.

Personally, I don't go low and slow for chicken since it's already tender. I usually do wings around 350-375 and check one or two of them at one hour. I don't temp them, usually done around one hour 15 minutes. At that temp, you ALMOST get crispy skin. I'll drop them in the fryer for about a minute to crisp, then toss with sauce.

Back