Louisiana Grills ?

barney jr

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello guys I have been checking out pellet grills and was wondering if these are better than Traeger a local shop has these and they look to be built with thicker steel than others.I have been searching the search area on pellet poopers alot of good info just not on these that I found.Thanks guys!

I think they are better than a Treager. The Louisiana Grill are make with 14 gauge steel. I couldn't find what they use for at Treager. Not sure what your budget is or what size you want to buy. There are many pellet smokers out there, so the first thing you need to decide how much you want to spend. Then I would get the best one within your budget.

Traegers are made in China. Louisiana Grills are made in North America.
Also, with pellet grills you get exactly what you pay for. Many things to break or go bad. Augers, motors, fans, igniter rods, electronics, etc. The less you pay the more likely to have problems due to quality of the components. Also more potential problems with fit and finish.

Like Pyle's bbq said you need to determine what size you think you need then set a budget and go from there. I looked at many makes and models ranging from hey that's not bad (traeger )to OMG I can buy a car for that! ( Memphis). Part of my criteria was to buy made in USA and I ended up with a Yoder YS 480 that I'm happy with, however there are many others to choose from that are capable of producing good results and Louisiana Grills are one of them. HTH

JOHN

Look real close at the Rec Tec, I love mine, comes with a 6 year warranty and excellent customer service. My problem when looking was a lot of them make you buy through a dealer and there wasn't any dealers around here. Rec Tec ships to your door. They also use the controller that Memphis uses on their pellet grills.

Traegers are made in China. Louisiana Grills are made in North America.
\

Unfortunately I believe this is no longer the case.

The operation factory was actually in my home city, but they've packed and gone to, welp, you guessed it, China.

Haven't heard if quality has been diminished or not, although I do wish I was into bbq when they were here. Believed they packed up in 2010 or so?

Unfortunately I believe this is no longer the case.

The operation factory was actually in my home city, but they've packed and gone to, welp, you guessed it, China.

Haven't heard if quality has been diminished or not, although I do wish I was into bbq when they were here. Believed they packed up in 2010 or so?

To Bad! I have a old Traeger that was built here it is thicker than the new ones and is welded together at the seams instead of creased and spot welded.

Rec Tec is made in China, but uses USA made electronics.

From bbqbeat.com:

The REC TEC Grill is made in China, however, the heart and soul of the grill (the computer) is made here in the USA. The powder coat is also made in the USA and the final assembly along with quality control takes place at the REC TEC Grill facility in Georgia.

I'm good with that, it puts some Georgian's to work. :clap2:

Go to pelletheads.com and check the posts for the last few weeks for the various brands to get an idea of any problems and frequency. My guess is that you will find the least with Cookshack, MAK, Yoder, and Memphis. See what you find.

I had a Louisiana grills smoker, one side ran hot and the other cold. I liked it for a grill but for a smoker at lower temps was where it really sucked. Yoder owners seem very happen with them. My suggestion is to not go below the quality of a yoder for a pellet smoker or you will be unhappy like I was. Louisiana grills are made on a Hutterite colony close to me. Great grills but it's no smoker.

I had one and sold it. The build quality was excellent. I don't like the vent bring on the back of the cooker. It seemed like a lot of smoke was lost.

Well now I'm checking out Rec Tec the prices are close when you add the items rec tec includes to a Louisiana Grill plus a 6yr warranty.

Back