Worst $$$ Spent on BBQ Products

93vpmod

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have recently read several threads about BBQ products that have been considered overpriced or didn't work as well as the buyer had hoped.

Like most of you, since joining the Brethren I have bought several items and had different levels of personnel satisfaction. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread listing YOUR Worst $$$ Spent on BBQ Products.

Please keep in mind, these will all be individual preferences and they may not be consistent with your individual thoughts. Please Be Respectful...

In my case, the worst money spent was on a Backwoods G2 Chubby. I loved the smoker, the results were awesome, but I hated screwing with the water pan. It got to the point that I preferred using my other cookers, so I finally sold it. I will likely replace it with a smoker without the water.

What was your worst purchase?

Great thread idea!

The biggest piece of junk that comes to mind is my ET73 that I bought way back in the day. That thing was awful. It never updated, the range was about 3 feet, and the probes were even worse than the ET 732. I actually had a replacement probe be broken when I plugged it in for the first time.

I'm sure someone will gladly take that G2 chubby off your hands. I don't use water in my cabinet and that makes it easier to use.

I'm sure someone will gladly take that G2 chubby off your hands. I don't use water in my cabinet and that makes it easier to use.

Another brethren already has and I know he is thrilled...It's working out well for everyone.

Got some extra long tongs to keep my hands from burning when grilling for a party. Because of the increased distance from my hand to the end it took a lot more muscle to hold and flip everything. Ended up having to hold it farther down, which basically was the opposite of why I got them.

Also buying these lighters to light a charcoal chimney

propanelighter.jpg

They don't work that well with a little breeze and run out of fuel pretty quick. Got 1200 matches for $7. They don't go out as fast and will last me a lifetime.

I did the antenna mod on my ET73 so I was prety happy with it, just got tired of replacing the probes.

Now the charcoal chimney I bought at Wallyworld and saved about $4 over a Weber chimney is a POS.

ET732 sucks! Got it over a year ago didn't use it because didn't need it. Used it twice recently and the stupid probe read 165! Now I'm stuck with it and no warranty :( Shoulda bought a Dot instead. Also those orange BBQ gloves that look like legos. Those things are too stiff and a pain to take off my hands. I use white bar towels instead, shoulda spent the money on a six pack!

As my dad always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say it"! So, in order to be respectful of a fellow brethren and follow my father's wisdom, I cannot comment on the worst bbq accessory I've ever purchased. :biggrin:

Analog meat thermometer they take so long. ThermoWorks as a wide range of thermometers for under $30 and 5 seconds.

I also agree on the Raichen gloves, but I love the claws for pulling butts? What do yall dislike about them. Much faster than forks for me.

Last edited:
Back