• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Horrible first time with Red Liner

Bbqallday

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So I wanted to start building my first UDS, I was going to trick it out and then soon saw how pricey it could get by trying to get it all nice and fancy. I have a wedding and a move I'm planning and saving for so I'll just have to settle for the basics. I stumbled across a red lined barrel and thought to myself, " Man I can do this, I don't see what the hoopla is all about, just get enough fire and it'll come right out." Psh yeah right !!! I bout a weed burner from Harbor Freight (the 50 dollar one which was on sale for 30 and I had a 20 percent off coupon for lol), it took me 4 hours just to burn through the first third of the barrel and sand. Holy fark !!!! I wonder if it's because I didn't have the burner on full blast that it took forever. Anyway, anyone who has suggestions let me know asap lol. I still live with one of my parents and they won't let me build a roaring fire in the backyard.

Here's a picture of my friend taking his turn on that red liner !!!

burning out liner.jpg

I work in an industry where industrial linings are used, sometimes for food grade protection, sometimes to protect from corrosion, etc. You'd be amazed how tough some of that crap is. I've had stuff that I would burn tbe crap out of with an oxy/acetylene torch followed by sand in a blast cabinet, and I could still barely get the stuff off. Even wire wheels on a grinder were a joke.

Personally, I'd take an unlined one any day; burn it out real good, follow that with a power washing, and you're done. Probably wouldn't even bother wire wheeling or brushing at the point unless there's actual rust, just get it seasoned and go.

I work in an industry where industrial linings are used, sometimes for food grade protection, sometimes to protect from corrosion, etc. You'd be amazed how tough some of that crap is. I've had stuff that I would burn tbe crap out of with an oxy/acetylene torch followed by sand in a blast cabinet, and I could still barely get the stuff off. Even wire wheels on a grinder were a joke.

Personally, I'd take an unlined one any day; burn it out real good, follow that with a power washing, and you're done. Probably wouldn't even bother wire wheeling or brushing at the point unless there's actual rust, just get it seasoned and go.
Sadly unlined ones are not all that easy to find for some of us. Spent the better part of 2 months watching Craigslist in the hopes that one would show up. Finally gave up and bought them with a liner.

Mine had some sort of Mango concentrate in them. Good hot fire got rid of the bulk of it...the rest came out with a few hours with an angle grinder/wire wheel.

Yeah I think I'm going to go at with with the burner full force and just go with it. I haven't tried the angle grinder though. We'll see what works. I've heard muratic acid, heavy duty easy off sprayed on for a couple of hours, and organic-non toxic paint stripper. I'll be giving all but the acid a shot. Thanks though.

Sadly unlined ones are not all that easy to find for some of us. Spent the better part of 2 months watching Craigslist in the hopes that one would show up. Finally gave up and bought them with a liner.

Mine had some sort of Mango concentrate in them. Good hot fire got rid of the bulk of it...the rest came out with a few hours with an angle grinder/wire wheel.

Thanks Doug ... at least I know there's hope. lol

Be careful to not warp the drum....heat concentrated in any one area too long may cause a problem...

Anyway, anyone who has suggestions let me know asap lol. I still live with one of my parents and they won't let me build a roaring fire in the backyard.

I'd throw it in the ass end of the truck, take it to the forest preserve nice & early, with a cooler fulla beer and burn it there.

My first one was a red one and I had to put the goggles on, the mask on and the earplugs in. Then started grinding away with an angle grinder. No other way to do it unless you get it sandblasted. I highly recommend you get it blasted. All the heat you are putting into it may warp.

A brand new unlined drum around here is only 85.00 and refurbished are 35.00 drill & cook no fire required.

That torch followed by a angle grinder with a wire brush does the trick. It just takes some work and a wiping down with mineral spirits.

The end result will be oh so sweet despite/because of the hard work. I did my first UDS with the liner- oh sure the neighbors laughed seeing me laying on my driveway on my (substantial) stomach inside the drum- just my feet hanging out. Glasses, respirator and ear muffs, electric drill with a wheel- was hard going but it paid off. nope- won't be doing THAT again.
They wuz right- that is some evil stuff.

I'd throw it in the ass end of the truck, take it to the forest preserve nice & early, with a cooler fulla beer and burn it there.

lol I live in Miami. I don't have the luxury of having any forests here. Plus there have been many brush fires lately so I don't want to get a fine. But you did give me an evil genius idea lol. Thanks

My first one was a red one and I had to put the goggles on, the mask on and the earplugs in. Then started grinding away with an angle grinder. No other way to do it unless you get it sandblasted. I highly recommend you get it blasted. All the heat you are putting into it may warp.

I don't have the money for that right now. Next barrel though... I'm going to do that for sure.

The end result will be oh so sweet despite/because of the hard work. I did my first UDS with the liner- oh sure the neighbors laughed seeing me laying on my driveway on my (substantial) stomach inside the drum- just my feet hanging out. Glasses, respirator and ear muffs, electric drill with a wheel- was hard going but it paid off. nope- won't be doing THAT again.
They wuz right- that is some evil stuff.

Lol. That sounds all too familiar to me. I'll keep you guys updated.

Back