THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks Bob. I have 3 locations as of right now that I can set up at.
All 3 are on major roads, constant traffic, just outside of towns. I know it may not be the absolute best but it's a start. As I drive around I'm keeping my eyes open for spots that will fit the trailer and some parking as well, a 24' trailer will take up some space. 2 of the 3 belong to a close friend who won't be charging me to set up there, so that is a bonus if the people stop.

The trailer is all 16" OC, floors and walls.

Some general business thoughts, though grab a couple grains of salt as my business education/experience is primarily NOT in food service.

Translating over though, ask yourself some of the following questions. If you don't know the answers right now you probably ought to be thinking about them. :)

Can you describe your customers? Who will be seeking you out and giving you their hard earned money? Why will they drive past other restaurants to get to you? Are they picking up for take-away or eating the food right there? Is all the proper ancillary stuff available for either, ways to carry condiments such as sauce if takeaway or places to sit & ways to eat and clean up if eating onsite? What will they tell their friends / family / co-workers? Why should they come see you today instead of tomorrow?

Describe your competition. What other vendors or restaurants serve the same customers? How will they react to your presence in the market? What advantages do they have over you today and what advantages can they easily acquire over you tomorrow if they choose to? What advantages do you have over them? How will you maintain those advantages?

Do a SWOT analysis (which the above covers part of) for your venture; Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats. Do a similar one for your perceived primary competitors. Always remember that prepackaged stuff from the grocery store is one of your competitors.

Do a cash flow analysis. What will you be spending money on and when? What will your fixed costs be that you'll have to pay whether you sell a single meal or not? What will your variable costs be that change based on your sales volume? What is your total cost for each menu item at two or three anticipated sales volumes? What do you anticipate your daily/weekly/monthly sales volume to be and why? Will it be seasonal / cyclical and what will drive that? How will you cover your fixed costs during the slower times?

There's also a bunch to consider in terms of labor that you'll want to be thinking about too. Will you need help? Who will be working for you, how much will they work, what will your total costs be including all the myriad taxes/fees/etc. you deal with when you have employees.

Hope the above helps.

Ease of access is kinda important. For a BBQ place, parking is really important. Because of the cost of BBQ, because of the way people attach to BBQ, your client base is almost never going to be largely walk-up. So, parking is a big deal. It is nice to find an easy place to pull in, that is for sure. People will drive for great BBQ though, if you create the reputation, they will comes from miles

Thanks for all the input here.

gpb11, I have a good amount of folks locally that I have catered for, they all said open a restaurant. And there is very little competition in the 2-3 county range.
I've done most of the things you've mentioned and it seems to me to be a good endeavor. I'm only going to be doing this 2 days a week, for now. So I still have my regular income. That to me is the major bonus.

Landarc, 2 of the 3 places I have open to me have considerable parking areas, so that won't be a problem. And I have already built a reputation through my catering. I've been called back to a couple companies to cook for their customer appreciation days. So folks know who I am and the type of Q I produce.

Bam got our facebook page set up. Going to see how that goes before setting up any other accounts.

I really am grateful for all the input and suggestions everyone is giving me.

Diesel Dave -- Sounds good. Don't take my post above as anything negative, just stuff anyone going into business should know about the environment they're operating in so they can best succeed.

Here in Atlanta there were a couple guys who were competition BBQers and decided to start a weekend BBQ take-out store back in 2004 or so. Business took off. They went to full time, expanded to two stores and eventually split up with each taking one store. Both of these, plus two stores started by employees who left and set out on their own, consitute four of the ten BBQ joins on the Atlanta Magazine's top-ten list. http://www.atlantamagazine.com/barbecue/

If I may make one additional suggestion: I don't know your area but if it's not one where everybody already knows everyone else, consider also having a solid presence on Yelp. I know a number of people who will check reviews of places they intend to try out to see if it's worth it or not.

Thanks and I didn't take it in a negative way. I really appreciate the post and the info it contains :thumb: Sometimes we all over look a detail, and the devil's in the details.

We are in a smaller area, but considering a yelp account once we get opened up.

That is awesome and thanks for the link. I'm hoping to keep this small and in the family so to speak. But in time if it goes as big as we hope we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Thanks again for the input

Well here's the trailer floor plan. I'm going to approve and fax it back this morning.
That means it'll be moving into the shop for the finish as soon as the appliances arrive

Attachments

• trailerlayout2.jpg
    trailerlayout2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 118
just a thought Dave

There is a guy who setup in a BP gas station parking lot off the I 96 Brighton Grand River exit. He has a huge pile of wood behind his trailer so I know this is his regular spot. Maybe you could do something like that? I did not talk to him, maybe next time you are up that way you could pick his brain
I drive past there at least once a week, and I haven't seen him there for a while. Latest time I passed there was mid day Thursday.

Well the trailer is done and ready to be picked up. Figures just as we start harvest :tsk:

But I'm still hoping to leave for Georgia next Tuesday and pick it up. If all goes well we'll be able to open next weekend. Or that's my plan.
Figuring we'll run til it gets freezing cold. That will end us anyway as the water tanks aren't insulated from what I can figure.

I want to thank everyone again for all their help and input to help me get this figured out and going

Just noticed this thread dave, congrats! I've learned a lot from the 3 months we have been open, although I still have a lot to learn. The biggest is that opening 2 days of work takes up way more time than 2 days, I'm sure you already know this. It is exhausting yet rewarding. Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Yeah I know it's going to be a lot of "extra" days.

And thanks I will bend your ear if I have any questions. We seem to cook the same way for the most part

Hey Dave!

Congrats fellow Michigan BBQ Brother. Let's hook up sometime. I would love to pick your brain. I too have begun to dive into this head on. Are you cooking off the the Shirley and holding?

Hey Brother

Sure we can hook up anytime you want. And yes I'll be cooking on the Shirley and holding. I'm using a Cambro that plugs in and hold 155-60.

Always up for meeting fellow Brethren and helping where I can

Dave - One area to consider - While we had our food trucks here in CA, we did call in or email in to go orders. Have a take home menu for all your customers explaining how they can call ahead after work, etc to pick up dinner for the family. Granted we were food trucks, but I would say in the evenings, 30-40% of our business was folks taking food hime to feed the family. Best of luck.

Hey Dave, just saw the thread (I don't frequent this forum as much as I should). Wishing you all the best. FWIW, I've kinda gotten to the point of searching out truck/trailer BBQ and I'm consistently much happier with the Q compared to brick & mortar joints. My point here is social media should work to hold onto folks that already know about you but you might need some kinda hook for drive-by folks like me. Some bling on that big old black trailer & a little roadside signage (if allowed) might help.

Back