Pizza makers where are y'all...?

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I recently got a pizza kettle. I have had success but beginning to lose it. I have been using cornmeal on my peel to keep the pizza from sticking. But I feel as if it is getting stuck to the bottom of the bpizza and burning. Also I feel like the cornmeal is getting stuck to the stone and burning on the second pie. What do you guys think or recommend?

The best site I know for all kinds of pizza making lore is pizzamaking.com. Check it out.

It's kind of hard with the amount of info you gave to give a specific answer. The only thing I'd suspect is that the stone is too hot, but that's hard to tell without more info about your setup and temp etc.

One thing that's worked for me for high temp pizza (>800 degrees) is to put some foil on the stone while it's heating up, then yank it just before putting the pizza on. But that may be a kamado specific remedy.

I cut parchment paper the size of pizza. Put between pizza and peel. Slide onto stone wait about 2 mins and you can pull the parchment paper right out

^^^ Parchment paper fixes so many things. If you don't have any, you need to buy some.

Do you have an infrared thermometer to monitor stone temps? I can't recommend this enough. After all, we monitor the temp of our meat and pits, so why wouldn't we do the same with the cooking surface our pies are cooking on? It sounds like you may be using too much fuel, which is why the bottom of your pies are burning as is the cornmeal.

Do you check the bottom of the pie as it cooks? This may be an easy solution. I pull my pies when the bottom starts to develop little black spots, otherwise known as "leoparding". No sooner, and no later.

Also, in terms of better launching of pies, I wouldn't be without the Super Peel. No more parchment, pizza screens, cornmeal. :wave:

Here's a review I did:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2016/7/20/product-review-the-super-peel

get yourself a pizza screen and season it up

get yourself a pizza screen and season it up

Not to beat a dead horse, as I know there are a number of folks here that use them, but a pizza screen will fundamentally change the character of the bottom crust. This is due to the fact that the bottom crust never fully comes in contact with the cooking surface of the stone, and I speak from experience. You'll never get the kind of uniform crisping from a screen that you will get direct to stone.

That said, I have quite a few pizza screens, and I use them as a holding surface after I take the pie out of the oven. All those little holes help aerate the crust and keep it from getting soggy while it cools a bit before serving, vs putting the pizza directly on a pan.

Parchment here. I didn't like the grit and tendency to burn for cornmeal (probably was doing wrong). Anyway, parchment has been great. I take it out between 30-60 seconds.

Over the years I've done the super peal thing, the parchment thing...now I just use a normal wood peal with some semolina on it. It acts like ball bearings.

Lots of other things come into play (hydration ratio of dough, how quick u work dressing the pie as it's on the peal, how wet your sauce is etc). I cook between 63-67% hr and with a stone temp of 830 or so and mine come out decent. When cooking at those high temp 60-80 second pies, you really have to be monitoring the bottom and adjusting it around the stone after it's been on 30 seconds or so. Just practice some more and check out pizzamaking.com for all things pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How quick you dress the pizza is big. My son takes forever and his wants to stick.

Semolina. This is with the caveat that I completely blew up a pie tonight by somehow ripping a huge hole in my dough pre-launch, but when I switched from corn meal to semolina, my pizza making abilities turned a corner for sure.

Couple things.
1. You hopefully are using a wooden peel to put the pizza on. That is the only way you will achieve a quick get off.
2. Once that pizza hits the peel you have a short time to add the ingredients and get it in the oven before the dough begins to soften.
3. A small metal pizza turning peel is great for turning the pizza while cooking to achieve consistent cooking of the crust and appearance.

Lots of other things come into play (hydration ratio of dough, how quick u work dressing the pie as it's on the peal, how wet your sauce is etc). I cook between 63-67% hr and with a stone temp of 830 or so and mine come out decent. When cooking at those high temp 60-80 second pies, you really have to be monitoring the bottom and adjusting it around the stone after it's been on 30 seconds or so. Just practice some more and check out pizzamaking.com for all things pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of respect for the topic the OP posted, I won't get into my take on parchment paper, pizza screens, cornmeal, & semolina, as tempting as it actually is. :mrgreen:

You make an excellent point though, as it relates to dough hydration, stone temps, and especially, checking the bottom of the crust as it cooks.

In my Blackstone Oven, the top pretty much cooks at the same rate as the bottom, but I always use the visual inspection of the bottom crust as the litmus test as to when to pull the pie out of the oven - this is best done with a metal pizza peel, which are ideal for pulling pizza out of hot ovens.

I check the temp of the stone as it is heating up with an infrared thermometer so I can dial in as close as possible the best temp for the dough I'm using. For non "00" flour, I look for a temp in the range of 650-700 degrees. 00 Flour can tolerate much higher temps, but those are not realistic for long periods in the Kettle PIzza insert kit, which is what the OP was asking about.

From what I've heard, the original Pizza Kettle kit (Which is what the OP has) is prone to the problems he's been having - bottom crust is done before the top is finished. This is discussed fairly extensively here, with a proposed solution:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...-and-kettlepizza-backyard-pizza-oven-kit.html

One of the biggest mistakes folks make is leaving the dough on the peel too long before putting it in the oven, the next is too many or too much toppings. I don't wait long and I make sure the dough will move on the peel before I head out the door.

I can give you my personal experience with pizza made in kettle using refractory
first times I had a lot of problems with the temperature... too hot or too cold, depending of the setup. And this means a pizza burned in the bottom or stucked to the refractory
after several trials and talking with a frend of mine that works in a pizza shop, I found out a good setup for my pourpose
I start with a chimney full of briquettes, ignited of course. I dispose them like a ring, all around the kettle. I place the upper grid with the refractory and I close the lid. Vents half opened
I start a second chimney full of charcoal. When they are ready I dispose them over the briquettes. I place the grid with the refractory and full open the vents
In a couple of minutes the kettle is hot like the hell.
SO it's time to cook. I prepare the pizzas and I use a small quantity of semolina in the bottom of the pizza (the surface that will be in contact with refractory)
With this setup I can cook a pizza in 5 minutes (more or less) and, due to the fact that the charcoal is not directly below the refractory, I don't have problems of burned pizza

I started with a metal peel only and it took some trial and error to launch successfully. Basically I use a light mix of flour and corn meal. Then every 30-45 seconds while building the pie just shimmy the pizza on the peel. If you do it often enough the pizza won't stick. Sometimes I have to lift a corner and toss some flour under but that is usually because I didn't shimmy enough or went too light on my flour/cornmeal dusting.

Back