PBC Pastrami - Live Cook with Pron

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Started to see corned beef show up in the stores for St Paddys day which reminded me I had 2 in the freezer I picked up last year in late March on sale. Decided to pull them and make Pastrami so the freezer is ready for some new ones this year.

Thawed them this week in the fridge. As these are the cheap corned beefs with the 35% salt solution you need to soak them over night to remove some of the salt.

Both of them about 4.5 lbs before cooking.

Soaking. Put them in the water about 9pm last night. Changed the water once before bed and pulled them about 7:30am this morning.

Here they are drained and patted dry.

Rubbed. Nice recipe heavy on fresh ground black pepper and coriander. Rub smells like Pastrami before you even cook it.

On the smoke with cherry wood...fat cap down.

See ya in a few hours. Plan is for about 6-7 hours on the smoke then finish it by steaming.

Oh hell ya! I was going to do a turkey tomorrow and I have some corned beef in the freezer so might have to get one out now to thaw.............:-D

6 hours on smoke. IT probing between 160-185 depending on location. Pulled and placed in sheet pan on a rack. Half cup of water in the bottom, covered with foil and in the oven at about 325.

Looks Great Next time try beer instead of water Works well

I planned to use apple juice but when I grabbed the bottle from my stash it had expired. Also I'm a dark craft beer guy (porters and stouts) so when I use beer to cook I have to buy something light specifically for that purpose....didn't have any on hand but agree it would have worked well!

Thanks!

Back