Lazzari Lump...anyboby ever tried it?

tom b

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm in Nor Cal visiting the daughter for her 21st b-day in Chico stopped at a OSH and saw this

seems pretty solid, uniform size and not too dusty. But how does it burn?

I'm in Nor Cal visiting the daughter for her 21st b-day in Chico stopped at a OSH and saw this

seems pretty solid, uniform size and not too dusty. But how does it burn?

Tom,

Lazzari is very similar in my experience to Best of the West that is sold here in Smart & Final.

It burns hot, burns long and clean, but can get pretty "sparky" as you fire it up. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

It usually has some big pieces, you'll need a hammer. I like the stuff. Burns nice and hot. We use it regularly.

Matt

Definitely large pieces, but does burn nice & hot. When I was a Sysco employee, used to get a 40 lb bag for $9 with employee discount. Hard to turn that down.

I use that lump a lot. It's all I can find year round here. I get it at Beverages and more. I save the biggest pieces for long rib smokes.

thanks guys, at 12.99 for 20 lbs about the sane a RO I'll grab a couple a give it a try

thanks guys, at 12.99 for 20 lbs about the sane a RO I'll grab a couple a give it a try

If you have a Cash and Carry near you, you can usually get a 40lb bag for $13.99. Good stuff. It's what I use in my Large BGE but as others have said, it's sparky and you'll have a few very large logs in there.

I love it and don't mind the big pieces. The oak is awesome for shorter cooks but can be overwhelming for cooks over a couple hours. Mesquite is great for pizza.

Seems like there's a pretty good consensus on this fuel.

I too don't mind the big pieces, I just pour the entire charcoal bag into a large 40 gallon plastic storage container, and chop up the large pieces with a hatchet as I need it.

Tom, A few things.

1. I use Lazzari most of the time for my kamado.

2. Make your way down to the Costco Business Center in San Diego and you can sometimes find 40lb. bags for $12.99.

3. I'm making a new batch of pickled red onions tomorrow.

Tom, A few things.

1. I use Lazzari most of the time for my kamado.

2. Make your way down to the Costco Business Center in San Diego and you can sometimes find 40lb. bags for $12.99.

3. I'm making a new batch of pickled red onions tomorrow.

:nod:

Does this charcoal impart much of a mesquite flavor to the food? I have seen this brand at R.D. but have not tried it as the wife doesn't like mesquite, which is a shame, what with her being a Texan and all.......

I have used this for years. Rd carries it at $14 per 40 lb bag.
It is a great lump and doesn't impart any "mesquite" flavor in my cooks.
A bit hard to light but lasts a long time. I use it in my large Big Green Egg. :mrgreen:

Back