• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Benefits of Ribolator

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I did a quick search for the ribolator in the search function and went through a number of the threads, but I wasn't able to find a discussion of what the benefit of using the ribolator is over the grate on a kettle or WSM.

If you use the ribolator I would very much appreciate your input. Why do you use it, what do you use it on and how does the cooking process and end result differ from just cooking on the grate?

Also, are you happy with your purchase? Does it perform as well as you had anticipated?

Thanks!

Eric

I love using mine on the kettle! I mainly use it for loads of chicken.

I'm always amazed at how much I can fit on it... 22.5 grate = 362 sq/in and it's not possible to cook on all of it unless you're searing everything.

ROL's 4 trays = 340 sq/in and I can use all of it, even at very high temps (routinely do wings at 400+ on the ROL and no burning)

I've recently discovered that I can fit 4 chickens on the ROL trays by splitting them in 1/2 and removing the back & keel bone, I don't think there is any way I could fit 4 birds on the kettle without it, and if I did, it would be an exercise in chicken shuffling to keep everything cooking evenly.

Cooking ribs - I don't have a problem fitting 4 racks on the kettle using a rib rack, the major difference that I've found tho is that when using rib racks you still need to move the ribs around so that they all cook evenly and all develop the same color.

Using the ROL they're moving the whole time so it's not an issue.

As far as using it for steaks or chops, that's kinda blasphemy IMO, I use the grate for that stuff.

I also really like the SS rotisserie ring, it fits the base and lid really tight unlike the weber ring...

Do I feel like I got my money's worth? Well, being the inventor's son kinda has it's perks... :thumb:

Now that it sounds like I'm biased because I have a personal interest in the ROL, let me tell you this.

I wasn't always a ROL believer.

I really didn't, and still don't see a whole lot of value in it if you have the following (prolly gonna hack my dad off by saying this):

1) a large enough cooker that space is never an issue
2) that large cooker also heats the whole space very evenly and hot/cold spots are not an issue

But if you have trouble fitting everything on your cooker, or would prefer to use a smaller cooker to achieve larger cooker results (i.e. 4 chickens or 70 wings on a kettle without shuffling) I think the ROL is for you and you'll love it!

1 last thing, and you can say it's a sales pitch if you want, BUT, my ol' man continues to offer to send out a ROL to ANYONE, without payment, for 30 days to try and see if they're happy with it.

seriously, I don't even think he asks for a credit card for the 30 day trial, he contacts you after the 30 days to ask you if you're keeping it or paying for it. That's not a "Money back guarantee"... that's a "Keep your money unless you love it" guarantee! :heh:

If you're a doubter, try it and then make a decision.

my $.02 FWIW!

I love my Rib-O-Lator! :becky:

6723417501_74f38b0245_b.jpg

6723417559_b2d8f0d470_b.jpg

6723417665_a3a883d3b8_b.jpg

Will the Ribolator work on the extension for the regular Weber Rotisserie kit or does it require its own ring?

Will the Ribolator work on the extension for the regular Weber Rotisserie kit or does it require its own ring?

Yes it will. This is a pic of the Weber Rotisserie kit on a UDS with the patented Swamprb Flange-O-Lator Mod.

6723417665_a3a883d3b8_b.jpg

Last edited:

Any ring that fits the kettle, the ROL will fit it, and if you have any spit rod from 5/16 up to 5/8, it'll fit that. Any ol' motor will work too! :thumb:

... and then there's always the COOL FACTOR!!!

I'd love to have a ROL, but can't justify it cooking for just myself.

/QUOTE]

Can I ask why? What benefits have you noticed since using the ribolator?

Have you found any benefits aside from better utilization of space and elimination of uneven cooking?

Has your 'Q improved? What problems did you have prior to the ribolator that you no longer have?

Thanks!

Eric

Have you found any benefits aside from better utilization of space and elimination of uneven cooking?

Has your 'Q improved? What problems did you have prior to the ribolator that you no longer have?

Thanks!

Eric

THE BURNER THEORY!

If you take your hand and put it on a stove burner you will burn your hand. (and yes the burner is on). If you hover your hand above the burner, it will be warm or hot depending how far your hand is away from the burner, but you won't have searing flesh.

So, one way burns, and the other doesn't. So, if you where going to cook something without burning it would you put the food directly on the burner or would you hold it above the burner and let it cook slowly without burning?

THE ROL SECRET REVEALED!

The secret to the rol is to cook with indirect heat. That's it!... forget the self basting theory, even though it will do that if you have the trays filled with dripping meat, but it boils down to cooking with indirect heat.

And speaking of boiling, if you lay any food on a hot grill without watching it you will boil the juices out and have dry tough food, but if you have the food rotating in the heat the food basically just sweats, eliminating very little of that flavorful juice, Thereby your food is juicier. you just set it and forget it.

That's why everyone foils their ribs isn't it? Because if they left them on the grill for the full cook they would be burnt, dry, or tough, or all of the above. So, is foiling Q'ing? Might as well throw it in the oven.

And when you boil your food in your foil it changes the texture of the meat, and you boil away allot of your seasoning and some of the smoke flavor. So do you want to eat yummy, swollen, bloated boiled ribs or jump up and down, slap your daddy BBQ ribs? (sorry harry soo)(who has an rol by the way) there's no foiling on the rol, so your Q'ing right to the end. Just like the caveman.

You can ask any Q'er who cooks in comps if he would rather cook with direct or indirect heat. And to further prove the point, why do web heads move all the charcoal to one side of the grill and the food on the other. (INDIRECT HEAT)

So the question is, how are you going to BBQ any quantity of food with indirect heat on your weber or gasser. You can't, that little warming rack on your gasser wouldn't hold a small squirrel, and cooking on half your weber...well... you could get the whole squirrel on that, but that's about it.....

ENTER THE ROL...

So quit trying to figure out how or why it works, it just does. Did you have to understand how your car engine makes the car move before you got in it? You just know it does...do you have to know why all the voices in your head tell you to burn things or eat boogers? Of course not, you leave that to the professionals.....how did these matches get in my hand? Doh!

Just remember, the Rib-O-Lator will love you when no one else will.

And now the award wining Rib-O-Lator:

Bellevue%20(4).jpg

Bellevue%20(182).jpg

Bellevue%20(310).jpg

Bellevue%20(190).jpg

Bellevue%20(191).jpg

Bellevue%20(324).jpg

040.jpg

Bellevue%20(297).jpg

Is Eric fishing for an ROL to feature in the next edition of Smoke Signals??

I was led to believe by certain members of my family that I would be getting one for Christmas. They did get me something else I needed but forgot that I NEEDED one of these too. I guess I will forgive them for now but I am dropping major hints that Valentines day is coming up soon.:idea:

Michael,
The words you wanted are a lot, not allot.
Allot means to distribute, apportion or parcel out.

Can you say Touche'. :-D

No, because I did not write that particular sentence. Can you say Zinger?! :p

Hi,

I did a quick search for the ribolator in the search function and went through a number of the threads, but I wasn't able to find a discussion of what the benefit of using the ribolator is over the grate on a kettle or WSM.

If you use the ribolator I would very much appreciate your input. Why do you use it, what do you use it on and how does the cooking process and end result differ from just cooking on the grate?

Also, are you happy with your purchase? Does it perform as well as you had anticipated?

Thanks!

Eric

/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Eric

Is Eric fishing for an ROL to feature in the next edition of Smoke Signals??

That would make for a good article. Maybe even adding a twist to it. It would be interesting to see what Eric would come up with using the ROL and plain grates in a comparison article feature. Identical gear with only the ROL being the variable. Lots of benefits and commonalites that could be tested out. That would make for some good reading.

Bob

Back