Korean spare ribs

Free Mr. Tony

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been reading through a book called K food by da-hae and Gareth west. Lots of good looking stuff, but today decided to adapt one of their recipes to the smoker. Theirs called for boiling, then saucing and baking. I marinaded the ribs in the boiling liquid,and they are on the smoker at the moment.
Marinade:
1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
5 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 scallions chopped
Water to cover

This was kind of a last minute idea so I only gave them a couple hours in the marinade

Pulled them out, dried off a bit, and sprinkled with black and white pepper

They are on right now, and I later will top with this delicious sauce. I will throw the ingredients up after saucing.

I love making ribs this way. Victoria Gourmet used to make an excellent Korean BBQ Rub, but they stopped making it for some reason. Haven't found anything that was as good as that stuff. I'd cook them hot and fast too. Indirect for a while then finish them over the coals. 45m-1hr tops

After 30 minutes in foil, I sauced then cooked another 20 minutes or so. The sauce is:

1 tbs sesame oil
1/4 cup gochujang
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs honey
1 tbs sesame seeds
1 tbs rice wine vinegar
2 gloves garlic minced
2 inch piece of ginger peeled and minced

Mix together with a whisk.

After the 20 minutes went by, I used SteveKing's idea of direct grilling. I pulled the plate setter from the egg,and cooked both sides sauced for just a couple minutes.

I sliced, and finished with a bit of thin sliced scallion.

These were a great change of pace. Will be doing again.

Oh, wow... Those look beautiful!

Sauce/glaze sounds like a sure winner! Wouldn't have thought to combine apricot with gochujang.... but I'd be willing to give it a shot!

Great presentation, too.

I'm not a big sauce person, but your marinade sounds like a keeper.
Lovely pictures.

Whats the heat level on that sauce? I looked up gochujang and its apparently hotter then Sriracha. I like really spicy foods in moderation but a whole rack of ribs does not qualify.

Back