Must-have cooking gadgets

speaking of gadgets. Does anyone have a mandolin that they would recommend? I want to buy one but don't want a piece of crap.

speaking of gadgets. Does anyone have a mandolin that they would recommend? I want to buy one but don't want a piece of crap.

This is my mandolin. Seriously, I've owned them before and end up just using a chef's knife

shun-classic-chef-knife-8-36.png

Thanks again for all of the great advice - think I have to go with the work sharp!
You will love it. My wife got me the Ken Onion Work Sharp for Christmas two years ago. I can make any knife shaving sharp in no time at all and it removes very little metal.

Sous Vide, Vita mix, Vacuum sealer, Salad spinner, High end knife, Cool pepper mill, Tovolo sphere ice molds, Kitchen Aid mixer, cast iron

I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but I bought a 6" and an 8" chef, plus a 7" santoku Guy Fieri knives from Amazon. Very reasonable, good weight, nice feel, and good edge. Holding the edges good as well. You can't beat the prices.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Guy-Fieri-Gourmet-Triple-Riveted/dp/B00G1GF58O/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00G1GF58O&pd_rd_r=RP99H2KYZ4WG7A8K8319&pd_rd_w=H5HrN&pd_rd_wg=aH23k&psc=1&refRID=RP99H2KYZ4WG7A8K8319"]Amazon.com: Guy Fieri Gourmet Triple Riveted Chef Knife with Tattoo Sheath (6-Inch): Chefs Knives: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

This little tool is real handy for $14 I find myself using it a lot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Charcoal...05&gclid=CJj37LmhqM8CFQXZfgodfzsFyQ&gclsrc=ds

Or Amazon

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-CC1089-Grill-Lifter/dp/B00QCDI57E/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474729147&sr=8-2-fkmr3&keywords=Charcoal+companion+BBQ+grate+removal+tool"]Amazon.com : Charcoal Companion CC1089 Grill Grate Lifter, Steel : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Nifty gadget, a bit overkill for the Weber system. But I can see needing something that stout for those large cast iron propane grills. I would like to see something made for the Weber system, tongs are just a little too weak

Hello all, today is my b-day so getting a good amount of gift cards for Amazon. trying to figure out some more "stuff" to buy but I already have thermapen, Maverick, Anova WiFi (sous vide), good knives / electric knife, vitamix, immersion blender, etc... you get the picture.

What are some great / useful gadgets you have found you cannot live without?

coffee/spice grinder & a good wetstone.

As far as indoor kitchen gadgets go, I really like having a small deep fryer, an electric pressure cooker, and an electric grill with interchangeable cooking grids. The little electric grill gets used a lot for pressed sandwiches and breakfast foods. It makes some killer waffles with the waffle plates installed.
The deep fryer and the PC, the list is endless to what they do. All 3 of the gadgets sure take the work out of a lot of stuff and make life much easier.

Last edited:
That electric grill pictured above is a George Foreman grill. QVC had them on sale for 69.99 (regularly 199.99). It has waffle maker plates, grill plates, a baking plate, and a high/low broil function (remove the top plate and the broiler is under there). For 69 bucks, it's a very versatile little rig in my option.

Last edited:
I have a plastic “hamburger patty masher” that makes the perfect burger 360 degree edge. It’s a simple 2 piece outfit but it works great. Also someone gave me a spatula for burgers. It has a wood handle and the spatula part is twice as long, until I used it I thought it was ridiculous. But they work so much better than a traditional length spatula no matter if you pick up one, two or three. JMHO

Back