Im A Short Rib Junky! Pron..

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Once again I find myself cooking up short ribs (also known as "Steak on a Stick" or the "Silverfinger Steak") in my Klose. Just can't get enough of these!
Picked up a cryovac at Sams club. These two racks weighed in at 13.77lb at $4.28lb. Great price!
As you can see by this photo there is plenty of marbling!

IMG_0769_zpsshxzrwmk.jpg

First thing I did was get rid of the membrane. By doing this you will not only save yourself a couple extra hours of smoking but the disappointment of biting into your meat only to find something similar to shoe leather attached to all that juicy meat. :tsk:

This photo shows how thick the membrane is and this can be at times a little tuff to pull off. Grab a paper towel to help with this process. You will find parts of this almost like rubber bands.
IMG_0771_zpsafzxntzk.jpg

Next I give it a thick coating of bacon grease (a trick I learned from Cowgirl) then lightly sprinkle kosher salt, granulated garlic and fresh ground peppercorns over it. I say lightly because I have found the short ribs really take in flavor easy and if you over-season these, well, basically there junk. Yea you can still eat them but in my experience it has not been good.

IMG_0788_zps8xww2gp1.jpg

I smoked these in my offset Klose Smoker using white oak splits for about 6hrs at 275 to 300 and they were probe tender!
IMG_0810_zpseq7zvudo.jpg

IMG_0815_zpsniubpk5e.jpg

IMG_0816_zpscyo5wts8.jpg

The bones fall off!
IMG_0922_zpsfwxtownt.jpg

This is pull apart tender and very juicy!
IMG_0900_zpswwo09cfg.jpg

Heres a photo of a "Silverfinger Steak" I cooked in the past!
IMG_0213_zpsuxr3wye8.jpg

Im one happy camper! Love them "Silverfinger Steaks" :becky:
IMG_0874_zps9uqvajxs.jpg

Thanks for looking!
More about this cook in the "Noobs Verses Vets Throwdown"

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=215096

Yup, those look like they tasted great.

And either your a munchkin, or those were huge

Good Lord that looks fanfarkingtastic Ray! So cool you're enjoying the Klose! Where are you getting your oak from?

I will be coming back and looking at this many times! I will also be looking for the nearest Sam's location - I haven't seen shorties that size anywhere!

Dang, I woke up craving prime rib for breakfast and now I want steak for dinner! :hungry:

Silverfinger for president; brisket-on-a-stick in every pot!

Before you say no way, take a look at our other options:becky:

Mighty fine looking ribs, can i have one ??:clap2::clap::clap2::clap:

You bet. Pm me if your ever down my way!
Yup, those look like they tasted great.

And either your a munchkin, or those were huge

Thanks Bob,
There just huge, and juicy :laugh:
If you look at the photo where I'm holding the two bones, there is juice dripping over the gloves and onto the floor while my wife is taking pictures. My 3 legged min pin was down there and very happy!!

Good Lord that looks fanfarkingtastic Ray! So cool you're enjoying the Klose! Where are you getting your oak from?

I will be coming back and looking at this many times! I will also be looking for the nearest Sam's location - I haven't seen shorties that size anywhere!
Thanks Greg,
Been picking up my wood from that place in Compton. $15 for 40lb.
SAMs club here has the uncut beef ribs in the back. Just ask for them.

I said it before and I will say it again:

Dang, Ray, you are the BEEF RIB MASTER! :hail:

Those look GREAT!

I picked up a couple racks at Publix for later this week. But, they are NOT as thick as those or the ones I usually get from Restaurant depot. ....I reckon they'll eat though.:becky:

Back