Side dishes

Jaime Bayona

Found some matches.
Reaction score
If you guys were to open a BBQ trailer hat sides would you serve with ribs , brisket and pull pork sandwich . Need ideas my wife and I are planing on getting a conseccion stand and selling BBQ and spnaish food . Any ideas would be appreciated thanks in advance .

I believe I would take advantage of sides that would fit both styles of food just to hold down inventory, get the most out of your time and reduce waste. Spanish Rice, Beans etc.

I am a fan of mac and cheese, beans, cornbread pudding, potato salad or greens with barbecue. I am not sure how feasible those are to sell in a trailer.

If you can figure out a tater salad that holds well, that would be good.....mac 'n' cheese, also need to figure out timing & holding so it doesn't get dry or mushy.....

White bread, slaw goes good w/ pork & medium sweet beans.....not too sugary.......:doh:

Pasta Jambalaya! Mmmm. Roasted Corn. That corn mayo chili powder thing. Deep Fried Pork Pies. Sangria. Some kind of cheesey casserole. Smoked Veggies on a Stick. Cotton Candy. Beer. Peach Bourbon Beans. Fried Cheese.

So far I'm thinking collard greens , baked mac and cheese and last weekend I made garlic butter string beans with slices of mandarin oranges for extra flavor and smoked salmon that came out pretty good . I wanted to post a pic of the salmon with the sting beans but every time I try to post a pic the website logs me off .

Some type of bean dish might work well with both styles. For bbq I like spaghetti, baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw maybe garlic bread.

I gotta have cole slaw with my BBQ, pork or brisket. The slaw I make is tangy, and it seems to pair well with the fatty BBQ.

Mashed smoked sweet potatoes go really well too.

Smoked baked beans or a corn, black bean and red pepper salad. If you use sweet BBQ sauce, then maybe something with some acid like a cucumber salad.

Hi. I´m from Madrid, Spain. this is my paella récipe (sorry for my english):

Ingredients:
· Salt

· 1 tomato
· 1 green pepper
· 1 red pepper
· Chicken/pork/whatever
· Clams
· Calamari
· prawns or King shrimp
· Rice
· Garlic
· Paprika
· Zafron
· Parsley
· White wine
· Fish stock

1. Chop the peppers in little squares and leave it aside
2. Cut the chicken into pieces and leave it aside
3. Peel the calamari and cut it into pieces. Leave it aside.
4. Grate the tomato and leave it aside
5. Peel one or two cloves of garlic. Put the garlic, a pinch of parsley and a teaspoon of paprika into a mortar and crush all well.
6. Put the pan (paella pan) into the fire. Sprinkle some salt. When the salt is starting to roast, low fire intensity. Put enough olive oil in the pan to cover the surface of the pan.
7. Put the chicken on the pan and fry it until it turns golden. Take it out of the pan and put it aside.
8. Put the red pepper and the green pepper on the pan. You will see that the peppers sweat water and it mixes with the oil.
9. When all the water has evaporated and the oil is just oil again, pour ½ glass of water on the pan.
10. When that water has evaporated and like before the liquid in the pan is just oil, put the chicken on the pan for a minute or two.
11. When the chicken is done, put the calamari.
12. When the calamari is almost done, put the clams. Just when the clams opens, add the rice and keep moving everything with the spatula for a minute or two.
13. Add the grated tomato. Stir it for half a minute. Add the content of the mortar and stir everything. Be careful because if you don´t pay attention the paprika will get burn.
14. While you are stirring the content of the mortar, add the zafron. The best way to do it is this: Put the zafron into foil and heat it with a lighter (not too much). Then add it to the pan.
15. Add the stock. The measure is two measurements of stock by one of rice. I use a glass of wine for measuring and I put a glass of white wine instead one of the sotcks measuerements. Having said that, don´t put all the stock in the pan and pay attention if the calamari and the clams have sweated water. If that is the case and you add all the stock, the rice can get overcooked.
16. Once the stock is on the pan don´t touch the rice with the spatula.
17. Increase the fire intensity until the stock starts boiling. Low the intensity again to medium-high and let it boil for 17 minutes. Then increase the fire intensity for 1 minute.
18. Instruction for prawn or king shrimp: put the prawn 12 minutes after the stock start to boil. Put the king shrimp 7 minutes after the stock start to boil. Just for the record I use king shrimp instead of prawn.
19. Take the pan out of the fire and leave it to rest for 5 minutes.

Going to have a fryer? Seems like some sort of fried plantain might work for both ends.

Baked beans, mac & cheese, coleslaw, cornbread. Potato salad if you can keep it cold. Corn on the cob is in season too and everybody loves corn.

Definitely sides that are super easy to prep.

Coleslaw, baked beans, cornbread pudding, sweet pea salad, pasta salad.

As other's have mentioned, make a list of the BBQ sides and a list of the Spanish sides and then keep the ones that would suit both. It's more practical, less waste, and keep costs down.

Having said that. Baked Beans and Corn for BBQ and Spanish rice and spanish whole beans (almost like soup). you could put some of the BBQ meat in it!
Mexican-Beans.jpg

Thanks guys for the ideas . Every time I BBQ the family always want collard greens corn bread and Mac and cheese I have to start thinking outside the box more often .

Rooster, that bean, corn, rice soup think looks great what's in it? Recipe please :) ?

Back