First smoke - ever!

studawg21

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Very excited to be on here and posting for the first time, much less smoking for the first time! Bought a horizontal COS New Braunfels from a fellow brethren and starting my venture into smoking. Starting easy with meat I can ruin without worry, a whole fryer and four leg quarters. Currently watching the smoke flow, little white and less blue (adjustments constantly)! Pics of the smoker and the results coming tonight! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

im jealous that u live in Funkytown! my home! good luck with the new smoker and enjoy it! enjoy those good meat prices too!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your cook!

Welcome from SC. This is a great site. There are lots of folks who are always ready to share their ideas and tips. All you have to do is ask. Good luck, Joe

Welcome but you shouldn't be constantly adjusting ( unless your shorts are in a bunch)- just let it go. Stick burners you cook in a temp range and you won't have TBS all the time - every log will white smoke at first.

Even if it doesn't turn out as good as you would have liked......you will be hooked. Hooked on getting better and better tasting food and loving every minute. Enjoy and I look forward to the pics and results.

Welcome!! Have fun with your new smoker!
It already sounds like you have a good plan.

Interest not at all gone! Certainly a fun experience yesterday, relaxing in the backyard watching the smoke rise. I pulled the chicken after about 1.5 hours and threw it in a 400* oven to bring it up to temp. Had to get the kids from day care and came back to a BURNT chicken (I was gone longer than I wanted to be)! BOO! But the smoke ring was there and it was still super tasty! Day two has a 10lb Pork butt and another Fryer, this one with will get turned after an hour and then smoke for another, finished off again in the oven at 350* till hits temp. I'm already loving it and I'm not planning on serving any of this till I have about 10 Qs under my belt.

My wife did ask me if this is what we are going to smell like for a while...

BTW, using hard lump Oak and Apple wood for the smoke, trying to keep it around 250* through the day.

Attachments

• image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 34
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 35
Mayo in chicken salad does wonders for dry chicken. It doesn't look bad like it is though. Welcome aboard and keep on smokin.

Back