Labor Day!

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just noticed I am off for the entire Labor Day weekend, all the way from Friday to Tuesday! Seems a perfect time for a big family and friends barbecue. I'll likely break out one of the cryopak beef tenderloins for smoking. Still need to figure out the rest of the menu and invite guests.

So what are you all doing for Labor Day?

Sounds like a good plan!! Family is where it's at....
Be watchin for your menu.
Will be cookin for the family just not sure what.

Just noticed I am off for the entire Labor Day weekend, all the way from Friday to Tuesday! Seems a perfect time for a big family and friends barbecue. I'll likely break out one of the cryopak beef tenderloins for smoking. Still need to figure out the rest of the menu and invite guests.

So what are you all doing for Labor Day?

You probably already know this, but in case you don't:
The meat scraps from trimming a whole cryo beef tenderloin make incredible cheesesteaks. We called this the 'chain meat' in a bakery/cafe i worked at and the staff always ate it before shift. Since we were poor hungry students we probably enjoyed our cheesesteaks as much as the customers enjoyed the 'real' cuts from the tenderloin :-D

These are great to eat the night before you smoke/roast/cut up for steaks your tenderloins.

Not sure about which days yet but I am working sometime that weekend, hopefully not all 3 days!

Ok, Labor Day cookout menu is headed by smoked whole Beef Tenderloin. Served with it will be sauteed mushrooms and onions, grilled asparagus wrapped in homemade green chili bacon (assuming I get the bacon smoked before then), and either cucumber and tomato salad, or sweet potato salad. Not sure which of those I'll be doing. Might do both.

Small cook out on Sunday (20-25'ish)
Looking to ensure plenty of meat, as well as hoping for leftovers for the week, so I'm going a little heavy.
2 8lb Shoulders,
1 7-8lb whole chicken
2-3 Racks of Ribs
1 Fatty of some sort
Mac and Cheese.
Couple of fiancees friends are bringing sides- cheesy potatoes, pasta salad, some sort of dip, and I'm sure there will be plenty more added.
Hopefully It all goes good!

Adam

Oldest son is visiting for the holiday. And since him and I are the only seafood lovers in the house, that gives me another chance to cook some more char-grilled oysters and jerk shrimp!

Wow. Already planning for Labor Day? 10 days away? I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone 10 days from now.

Sounds like a lot of good ideas though. Maybe I should start thinking about it...

I am working nights this weekend and days next week. I have Saturday and Sunday off, but back to work in Labor Day. I think I will keep it simple on Sunday with dogs and brats. It might be a good time to make a batch of ice cream too.

Back