Irish peat for BBQ?

BigBarry

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this?

Being Irish, we always had some peat from the bog in the "Old Country" near the fireplace and the fragrance is real earthy.

Over in Ireland, most of our relatives' country homes are heated by or enhanced by peat and it always smells wonderful in their homes.

Any feedback?

There's a website that sells Irish peat in the USA (ships over bulk and then distributes) for a nice price if anyone is interested.

Yeah and the one I found is: irishsmoke.ie

My concern is how does it work with BBQ and smoking. If I don't get any real-world experiences back, I'll buy some and run a taste test.

Another term I've heard is "peet moss." I can tell ya, it ain't hardwood!!!

JimT

I remember checking out the website, then asked an Irish co-worker who grew up in the country about it and he thought I was nutz, then asked if I wanted to by a Sweepstake ticket!

I recieved a box of the stuff as a gift last year and it's been languishing in the cabinet ever since. I've been thinking about using it on a nice piece of salmon maybe with a plank as well or would that be too damn busy?

Most of you guys say using peat in wrong, but according to the web site, this stuff is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I think I’ll trust your opinion over Sneaky Peat’s.
I guess they call him Sneaky Peat for a reason.

BigBarry said:
Over in Ireland, most of our relatives' country homes are heated by or enhanced by peat and it always smells wonderful in their homes.

Any feedback?

Most of the Irish people I know have central heating fuelled by either Electricity or Gas (as in Gas Gas not Liquid Gas (Petrol))!

The few that don't use Rayburns or Aga's (Wood burning stoves).

Peat heating went out with the dark ages (literally!).

I don't mind a "touch of the old sod" in my whiskey...but I'm thinking it would be pretty nasty on meat.

Why do you think the Irish moved here to America? Besides oppression and the potato famine!!:-D

They moved in order to cook on WOOD. Most of the forests in the UK were denuded to provide oak and such for the British Navy back in the 18th and 19th centuries!!:mrgreen:

I can not think of anything that peat would replace as an alternative. Why not just use old wet socks?

Stick to the hardwoods.

I brought the subject up again with the Irish, he said nothing else reminds him of home than the smell of burning peat! said as a kid he used to have to dig it up and stack it to dry for later use and also they used a compressed "brick" that was @20lbs in the cook stove. His family has since converted to gas. Being from the Moriarty clan I may have to try it sometime.

Thanks for the feedback!

As for the Irish homes, you are correct about the heating. I meant they still have a fireplace for the peat - really small ones!

CarbonToe said:
Thats one thing the Irish do really well (don't tell the Scottish!).

But if you want peaty Whisky you'll have to go 'Scotch' try Ardbeg (https://www.ardbeg.com/home.asp). It's fantastic!

A fine recommendation, CT! For another couple of peaty whiskies, try Laphroaig 10yo or Lagavulin 16yo. MMMMM

Back