• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Should I get a Weber 22.5" gold?

bbq-

Reaction score
I read a thread about charcoal grilling on a gun forum, then I went out to walmart, and purchased a cheap $10 charcoal grill, a cheap starter, and some lump coal.

Now I came here, after reading I purchased a Weber Smokey Joe, and a Weber charcoal starter.

Now my question.
Should I get a One Touch Weber 22.5" gold? I had family over the other day, and it took me a long ass time to get them all something to eat. But I only cook for myself 90% of the time. If I do get a get a 22.5" grill, would it be overkill to cook 1 steak at a time?

Is $150 the going price? If so, I will just order it from amazon and use my points.

As far as smoking goes, I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. It is awesome.

You will not regret buying a otg.Its the best $150 ive ever spent, and you can use it as a smoker.Using the minion method with kingsford briquets and hickory chunks, I smoked a butt 12 hours at 230 degrees without ever having to adjust vents or add charcoal.....I couldn't believe it....its a great grill when you learn it.

You will not regret buying a otg.Its the best $150 ive ever spent, and you can use it as a smoker.Using the minion method with kingsford briquets and hickory chunks, I smoked a butt 12 hours at 230 degrees without ever having to adjust vents or add charcoal.....I couldn't believe it....its a great grill when you learn it.

Do you have a link to the minion method that you used?

Screw it, I ordered one. Used my points, I also tossed in a set of these.

Weber Char-Basket Charcoal Briquet Holders.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WEMGM4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : Weber 7403 Char-Basket Charcoal Briquet Holders : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TTpAp1t1L.@@AMEPARAM@@41TTpAp1t1L[/ame]

Do you have a link to the minion method that you used?

Screw it, I ordered one. Used my points, I also tossed in a set of these.

Weber Char-Basket Charcoal Briquet Holders.
Amazon.com : Weber 7403 Char-Basket Charcoal Briquet Holders : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden
I don't have a link, but what I did was filled a water pan that covered half my grill on the bottom and filled other side with charcoal mixed with wood chunks.poured a half chimney of lit charcoal on that and waited for temp to come up.Adjusted bottom vents to 1'4 open and top vent 1/4 open it held at 230 .I put butt on directly over water pan and threw two handfuls of wood chips on coals.12 hours later meat was done and grill was still at 230

Last edited:
You made a great purchase and will soon have grill that will be one of the most versatile cooking vessels you'll ever own!

You are gonna love it. Watch this and learn and you can slow cook ribs, butts, and briskets:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ehH4php-3A"]SNAKE METHOD - Low and slow in your weber kettle - How To smoke on your charcoal barbecue - YouTube[/ame]

Buy the weber 22.5. If you learn to control the heat you can cook anything. It is big enough for most cooks. Best 150 bucks I ever spent. I have a comp trailer and an assassin gravity pit but my weber get fired up 3-4 times a week.

They are so efficient and put out the fire so quickly that there is no problem with cooking for one on it. You can easily save the unburnt coals for the next cook, so you won't be "wasting" much, if any, fuel cooking 1 steak on a 22.5".

Congrats on the purchase. You're going to love it.

Given your past history I would not get the 22.5 OTG instead I'd go for the MacDaddy 26.75" OTG Go big or Go home.

Given your past history I would not get the 22.5 OTG instead I'd go for the MacDaddy 26.75" OTG Go big or Go home.

That will definitely be my next grill purchase. I've had a 22.5 OTG for about 30 years but I see an upgrade coming...

I just recently picked up a OTG new in the box for $75 on craigslist. Every once in a while someone will be selling one new for $125. I always offer $75. One guy wanted to move it so BAM !!! Just learning on it but it's pretty nice.

Forget everything else and get the Smokey Joe Gold and build a mini. You'll have a grill and a bad a** little smoker! You'll have less dollars into it then buying a 22" gold. A mini will run you under 100 dollars to make.

The mini will also be a fuel miser, for example I can do a 11 lb. pork butt in 8 hours using just 3-4 lbs of fuel.

Forget everything else and get the Smokey Joe Gold and build a mini. You'll have a grill and a bad a** little smoker! You'll have less dollars into it then buying a 22" gold. A mini will run you under 100 dollars to make.

The mini will also be a fuel miser, for example I can do a 11 lb. pork butt in 8 hours using just 3-4 lbs of fuel.
He has already got a SJ but wants more grill space. As much as I love my mini, it ain't cookin' a brisket, which can be done in a OTG.

I was grilling 10 lbs worth of wings last Sat for a small group of family and friends on a 22" otg and just wished I had a second 22" next to it or just a 26" instead. They were gobbling wings faster than I can dish them out.

He has already got a SJ but wants more grill space. As much as I love my mini, it ain't cookin' a brisket, which can be done in a OTG.

Oh i didn't see where he wanted more grilling space? Anyways he probably has no idea about the mini. I'd take mine over a full size grill any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

For smoking area he'll have the same cooking area considering loading up charcoal via snake method or on one side. Also peeps aint NO WAY i'd choose to smoke a brisket on a kettle personally....not saying it can't be done.

On the other side of the coin the mini is a way better smoker/cooker than kettle smoking could ever be using a fraction of the fuel.

I'd add the big kettle is good to have, it just wouldn't be my first purchase especially since he already has a SJ.

Last edited:
150 is the going price. Yes you will love it. I use the snake method most and love it for smoking. I also bought the baskets with it. Then I bought 4 fire bricks and I never use the baskets. If I want to grill 1 steak I set the 4 fire bricks in the center and form a small square. Dump a chimney of hot coals in the center and sear away. Can also divide the grate for the minion method using the fire bricks. The 26" OTG would be even better. Happy Cooking!

In response to the thread title. ...Yes you should!!

Plain and simple. You won't regret it.

I tryed to locate that diagram that shows all the different coal set ups for the kettle but could not find it. Anyway there are alot of ways to bbq on the otg's depending on how you arrange your coal.

Back