Frijoles Charros...

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Another lazy Sunday and decided to make some charro beans out in the Man Cave while I watched some football.
Headed out to my favorite meat market, La Estrella, and bought a few things I needed.
imagejpg3_zps0e765936.jpg

Decided to use my Grandmother's ole Bean Pot for my first time and some good luck. That pot has made a ton of beans and if it could talk, would have some stories.
imagejpg2_zpsb94c39c2.jpg

Pics on the way. Technical difficulties! Lol

Farken Ipad!!! More to come. Photobucket is also running a tad SLOW!!!!

Okay, the meats. Some beef stew meat, some chorizo, bacon, some cheap weenies, and I'll add the chicharrones at the end. Just let em render out a bit. I don't really let them brown too much since they are gonna boil for a while.
imagejpg1_zps4ccead0a.jpg

Did a little preseasoning. Some garlic, onion powder, black pepper, cumin, and some flavor cubes. Tomato and chipotle.
imagejpg4_zpsc8abcc1a.jpg

This stuff by itself is really GOOD!
imagejpg7_zpsc896c868.jpg

After some rendering, water and the beans go in. I didn't presoak, sot they are gonna boil for a while. That is 1lb bag of pintos.
imagejpg5_zps348c84bb.jpg

Whole onion and some garlic go in as well as one whole bunch of cilantro.
WP_20140921_010_zpsd02ab9db.jpg

Cheap weenies. Get the "red" colored ones if you can. They add some color.
imagejpg6_zpsf6798e4d.jpg

Right now, they are just boiling away. Almost done.

Last edited:
Charro Beans are a meal! They got a little bit of everything in em. I added some asadero cheese and some sliced pickled jalapenos and carrots to em along with some flour torts on the side. Normally, you add the jalapenos or a couple fresh penos to the boil, but didn't want to make em too spicy for the family. I'll be needing to fluff the sheets tonight!! LOL!:shock:
Beans006_zpscb5ff5e5.jpg

Hittin em with the cheese and torts! Dayuum good. They didn't suck!:becky:
The broth is amazing! I remember my grandmother giving us bean broth in our baby bottles. Has lots of vitamins in it and when you are a toddler and can't "go," some bean broth will help get things going! LOL!:biggrin1:
Beans008_zpsb5af1ee6.jpg

That looks great! Give me a plate of that over some corn bread and I would be happy! I would eat pinto beans and corn bread for dessert when I was growing up.

I've apparently never had these, they look right up my alley. Chicharrones in beans, who knew?

The thing I hate about your Mexican food posts, bobbrisket, is...there are not enough of them.
I LOVE this stuff, and I am larnin' and copying down here!

:clap2:

Making enchiritos as I post, never heard of them before.
I love this place!!

The beans look great, and I love that last shot with the stringy cheese and tortilla, looks delicious!! Also love the story of your grandmother and adding bean water to bottles for babies that can't go. :laugh: :becky:

Back