Temp controller for WSM

prodano

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a temp controller for the WSM? I am looking for something economical that works well. Can they get a WSM to run at 375-400? Thanks!

I have the IQ-120 and a WSM 22.5". I think pushing 375-400* will be tough for any WSM, with or without a controller, unless you are willing to make more vents. I can push 350* if I take the water pan out and light more coals to start with.

See the link in my signature for the mods I have done to my WSM.

It's pretty hard to get the wsm to run that hot. They are more for stability and goodnights sleep. Pay attention to the features that are listed as you may want to get something a little better like a dx2.

From my experience, you will need to modify your WSM with more exhausts to reach these higher temperatures.

From my experience, you will need to modify your WSM with more exhausts to reach these higher temperatures.

any photos of this?

how about an auber instruments temperature control system. the reason i like it is because it has a door that shuts when the fan is not blowing. simple to use and keeps temperature real good.

If i want to really crank up the temps ill use my chimney starter to prop open the door. Matter of fact since the weed burner that's my only use for the chimney besides maybe chimney steak.

I realize I failed to answer the original question and went off topic a bit.

I think you will need more exhaust no matter what controller you use.

I am a BBQ Guru fan if you made me choose one of the brands. I have both a PartyQ battery powered one and a DigiQ 120V model. If you want to run at higher temperatures, that fan will be kicking on often and I would stay away from a battery version because of that. But as long as it has a setting for as high as temperature as you want, I don't really have anything against any of the controllers out there.

Sounds like the BBQ Guru is a good choice. I was thinking about the 375-400 range for my chicken wings. If the Guru won't be able to get it that hot I will continue to use the Weber OTG. I was really looking forward to the increased capacity of the WSM... Oh well, maybe I will have to invest in a Big Poppa Smokers drum for my wings and packers!

If you are looking for an increased capacity on your OTG, buy a second slightly smaller great and elevate it above the first on something. Plenty of people do that, especially for small items like wings.

I'd bet that an IQ110 in Max Blow mode would do it. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhcvfhm2Mdw"]IQ110 "Max Blow" Feature for Air Hungry BBQ Pits - YouTube[/ame]

Generally, when I need to go over 325 in my 22.5", I just run it without a blower and set the lid slightly ajar. That allows for the exhaust needed to get to higher temps without cutting an extra vent in the top. The reason the WSMs have trouble reaching higher temperature is the limited exhaust. There's plenty of intake to make it happen.

On my 18.5" getting to 375 is not a problem, even without any mods or door/lid propping. The Guru or IQ110 should be able to maintain it pretty easily.

I have never tried to use my IQ-120 when making chicken cause I only use it for overnight cooks. I just don't think a WSM is designed the way it is built for high temps. All the reading I have done says you need to drill to add extra ventilation to be able to get temps that high. I don't think adding an ATC will help.

I could be wrong.

If all you need to run it that hot for is wings, leave the door propped open

Back