Danish Brethren - Help w/Flæskesteg

bvbull200

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I know there are a few Danes on this board, and possibly some others that have had Flæskesteg that might be able to help me out.

My mom is from Denmark and I carry a Danish passport myself. We visit Denmark from time to time and I always request one night where we eat Flæskesteg. Even though it is a Christmas dish, they oblige, and we have it in the summer. One of my favorite dishes in the world.

My mom knows how to make it, but since it requires a pork roast with the rind still on it, she has a tough time finding the right meat here in the states.

That brings me to the first of my two questions. If I were to request this roast from my butcher, what part of the pig should I be asking for? Does it come from the neck? Belly? Back? It is second nature for a Danish butcher, but I've never tried translating it to over here.

The second question is if anyone has ever tried Flæskesteg in the smoker. I can take mom's oven recipe and loosely convert it to outdoor cooking, but wanted to see if anyone had any other considerations for making it in a UDS.

Eventually, I'd like to tweak the traditional Flæskesteg ever so slightly to make a Texas outdoor version of it.

Thanks for any and all help.

Info on Flæskesteg:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fl%C3%A6skesteg

This one suggests pork loin:
http://scandikitchen.typepad.com/scandikitchen/2012/12/how-to-make-flaeskesteg-roast-pork-w-crackling.html

That sounds phenomenal....tuned in for tips!

It is a really great meal. I'm going to pick up some brisket from the meat market tomorrow and hope to be able to talk to them about what I need for this dish. It'll be a special order, I'm sure, but if I can get this down and make it for Christmas this year, the family will go nuts over it.

hi
I would like to try to help you
the picture you can see the cuts from a pig
you need meat from the centercut called svinekam or ribensteg
you can cook it om the smoger just raise at the last to make the crakling crisp

Attachments

• skaeresvinud.jpg
    skaeresvinud.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 169
  • foto (2).jpg
    foto (2).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 167
  • foto (3).jpg
    foto (3).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 166
Yes! Yes! Yes! That is what I am talking about!

It looks like a pork loin, complete with rind, is in order!

Tusind tak for hjælpen! Der er et godt billede af Flæskesteg!

My god. My grandfather is from Denmark and my mom made that for us a bunch growing up. I didn't realise it was a danish dish. Will have to try it on the que sometime. I have made cracklins on their own with great success on my que when I have taken the skins off of bellies or shoulders. Little bit of salt and 400 degrees skinside down till they are all bubbly and crisp. Yum!

Thanks to you both! I'm going to the meat market today and will ask them about getting me a center cut pork loin with the skin/rind still on it.

I'm getting pretty excited about this.

Please post the cook when you're done Bull. I'm loving this dish by just reading about it. I'm going to have to give this a whirl myself.

Lol, funny thing is my brother just came back from Denmark on Monday and absolutely loved the country and obviously the food.

Please post the cook when you're done Bull. I'm loving this dish by just reading about it. I'm going to have to give this a whirl myself.

Lol, funny thing is my brother just came back from Denmark on Monday and absolutely loved the country and obviously the food.

It is a beautiful country with some of the nicest people you'll find. It is always one of the three happiest countries in the world, too.

I'll post cook results whenever I get the opportunity to try it out. Don't hold your breath, though, I still need to procure the right meat before I can even get started.

Fingers crossed the butcher can get me what I need if I give him a heads-up.

Edit: Do give it a try if you can, too. Honestly one of my 5 favorite meals in the world.

It is a beautiful country with some of the nicest people you'll find. It is always one of the three happiest countries in the world, too.

I'll post cook results whenever I get the opportunity to try it out. Don't hold your breath, though, I still need to procure the right meat before I can even get started.

Fingers crossed the butcher can get me what I need if I give him a heads-up.

Edit: Do give it a try if you can, too. Honestly one of my 5 favorite meals in the world.

Yep! Exactly what he said about the people. IIRC It's "the" happiest country in the world.

No worries! I'm tuned in. That def is my next dish when I have the time to do it.

I walked in to the market today, picked up the just-cut-from-the-carcass brisket I asked for, grabbed some rub, picked out 4 beef short-ribs, then asked the butcher if he could get me a pork loin with the skin still on it, provided I ordered ahead of time.

He looks at me and says, "I got one back there right now. You better take it before it's gone.".

I told him he has to be kidding and asked him to bring it out. I never see that anywhere, so I was a bit skeptical of him and I referring to the same thing.

He brings it out, and sure as ****, it is a beautiful pork loin with the rind/skin completely in tact. I tell him to cut it in half for me and I'll take both halves (~3.5 lbs each). He obliges and I now have two chances to practice cooking flæskesteg. A mighty successful trip to see the butcher indeed.

He said that it is rare for them to be able to fulfill that type of order, because they have to have the whole pig. I'm on the list to get it every time they come across it, though.

the place to get different pork cuts...

for me the easiest way to get different cuts of pork is to go to Chinatown or any Chinese grocery store here around Houston - they sell all -

I mean ALL parts of the pig -

from snout and feet to tail
to whole hams and bellies and everything in between...
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

That looks exactly what we in/from Australia would use for a standard pork roast. Being in Ohio now, I'm buggered if I can find that cut around here.

Matt

A glass of glogg and some ginger cookies would be a good finish to a meal of that. :)

I have a bottle of Aalborg akvavit in the freezer. That and a little herring to kick it all off. Glogg and ginger cookies are definitely the way to finish it off!

for me the easiest way to get different cuts of pork is to go to Chinatown or any Chinese grocery store here around Houston - they sell all -

I mean ALL parts of the pig -

from snout and feet to tail
to whole hams and bellies and everything in between...
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'll ask around and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip.

Back