• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Helped with my first Comp this past weekend

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
And had a great time. It was a little on the boring side, since the guy I was helping is mostly used to working solo. A lot of the time I sat there with a beer in hand and watched it. None of that is anyones fault, so I can't hold it against anyone, but yeah still had a great time.

We finished 12th out of 41 teams, but made a few mistakes. Got top 5 in ribs, and 8th in brisket.

A team that said they turned in raw chicken, and was adamant about how it was the worst chicken they've ever turned in, came in 8th in chicken :twitch:

Still have some work to do before I jump on the circuit, but had a great time.

I've done well with meat that we weren't happy with before :) At one comp we threw our ribs in the trash after turn in because we were so disappointed with them. they came in 5th. You just never know.

BTW, I doubt that any team would knowingly turn in raw chicken, and if they did, more than likely the judges would refuse to taste it. I think there was some smack talk going on there.

And had a great time. It was a little on the boring side, since the guy I was helping is mostly used to working solo. A lot of the time I sat there with a beer in hand and watched it. None of that is anyones fault, so I can't hold it against anyone, but yeah still had a great time.

We finished 12th out of 41 teams, but made a few mistakes. Got top 5 in ribs, and 8th in brisket.

A team that said they turned in raw chicken, and was adamant about how it was the worst chicken they've ever turned in, came in 8th in chicken :twitch:

Still have some work to do before I jump on the circuit, but had a great time.

I hope you were wearing your ash grey Brethren T-shirt...

I've done well with meat that we weren't happy with before :) At one comp we threw our ribs in the trash after turn in because we were so disappointed with them. they came in 5th. You just never know.

BTW, I doubt that any team would knowingly turn in raw chicken, and if they did, more than likely the judges would refuse to taste it. I think there was some smack talk going on there.

I thought the same thing at first, but when they won on of the extra deals the wife said to the husband as they were walking up to the stage "wow, maybe this will make up for our horrible chicken."

I think the "raw" comment might have been a little much, but they were all saying it was bad.

Hate i missed meeting you this weekend.i cooked as too bad your my cousin this weekend.hope to meet up one day.

I turned in half raw chicken and got a 5th, if you bit one side, it was perfect, the other side, it was pink. I had no idea until after judging, I was munching, bit one, and realized it was raw, hobbled down to the turn in, to pull the entry, and was too late.

Did you guys cook in Greer? I have had the month off on the SCBA circuit, anyone cooking Clover Sept. 6&7?

Yes, I was with Big Red's Barbecue. I'm good friends with, and was invited to join then but didn't, the team that won the SC Governors Cup, BerryPatch BBQ.

Back