I know where to get brisket where to get thighs

bam

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
From thread on comp briskets I have a few choices for the other three meats. A call in chicken pays the same as brisket. Where do you get your chicken?

Where ever you can find about 20 similar in size to start

• Thanks
Reactions: bam
Im far from a chicken master but I do know the difference between briskets and there is no chance in hell the gap is that wide

Sam's is good because the skin is not trimmed leaving more for you to work with.

Sam's is good because the skin is not trimmed leaving more for you to work with.

You havent seen the chicken I noticed at a Sams' today then. I swear they must have used a hacksaw to trim every single package. Ended up going to Walmart to get chicken for my practice run. I even had them pull out another case and it was just horrible.

Costco: they come in large packs so you have plenty to pick from and you don't need to buy 10 different packs from the grocery store.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Winco, which is basically Foster farms relabeled. They seem to have the largest thighs, with plenty of spare skin to work with, and a decent amount of fat.(we have a Fosters farms plant right in town, so I know this are extremely fresh)

• Thanks
I buy wherever I can find some air chilled chicken, but hey what do I know, because I don't worry about having a lot of skin to play/work with.:confused:

• Thanks
Almost anyplace...just try to buy something where you know what the solution content is. Lower is better, avoid anything over 5%. They don't always label it though.

Also: avoid Purdue. Great in your oven, but yellow chicken not rockin' the BBQ world.

• Thanks
I've always just used the golden plump brand from the grocery store. no clue what these are classified as. anyone know?

• Thanks
I've had good luck with D'Artagnan (you gotta call to special order), whole foods, and wegmans. All of the above are air chilled.

• Thanks
I went to my local grocery store. Told the meat man how big I wanted them and I need 8 that size. They go through dozens and can pick them out and package them.

• Thanks
Back