• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Butt Slices

SmokeMeTender

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We are having a family reunion over the July 4th weekend and would like to serve slices of pork and pulled porked. There will be approximately 200 people and want to provide a variety of pork.

We have seen so many pictures of sliced pork and are wondering how do you do it. Do you use tenderloin for the slices or is there a way to slice the pork butt? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :roll:

We just use pork butt. If you want to slice it just take it to 180* instead of the normal 195-205. There are different muscles in the pork butt, so watch which way the grain is running while you are slicing.

Cook the pork butt to 185*. Cool overnight. Remove the bone and slice the cold pork butts. Into a hotel pan, add a bit of liquid, cover with foil and gently warm in the oven.

I find it much easier to slice the butts when cold.

Cook the pork butt to 185*. Cool overnight. Remove the bone and slice the cold pork butts. Into a hotel pan, add a bit of liquid, cover with foil and gently warm in the oven.

I find it much easier to slice the butts when cold.

That plan will work--for sure.

TIM

Another option is to get a boneless butt and tie it a-la "boneless shoulder roast" -- cook to about 170 and slice it. It won't slice as clean as a loin (not tenderloin) but it real tasty.

I did one a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was bland, definetly inject next time, this is leftovers, a shiitake-red wine sauce, the taste of smoked pork w/ a gravy/sauce was very good.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 91
Back