One of my Biggest Cooks yet - pron will be coming

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I remember when doing a brisket and a pork shoulder stressed me out ... how I'd spend 30 minutes just trimming the brisket ... happily after a few years, lots of practice (some good and some bad), and the wisdom, influence, and encouragement of my BBQ brethren that isn't me anymore. I am more confident and skilled and I am grateful to all of you for your help.

Now my fun is getting asked to cook more and more and more ... this will be my 2nd biggest cook ... 140lbs of Pork Shoulder (bone in) and 200lbs of chicken leg quarters.

Shopped around and as I was on a budget I actually haggled prices. Costco would drop $.25 for me, Sam's Club wouldn't budge, Walmart I didn't even try... Kroger though won the day. I spoke with a manager, he made a call, then dropped $.50 per pound off the pork shoulder ($2.49lb) and $.40 ($6.50 per 10lb bag) per pound off the chicken. I told them I couldn't pick it up until Tuesday because I had limited storage space ... they called me Monday and told me my order was in and that I could come by and pick up on Tuesday. They made a loyal customer out of me.

Outside Fridge all loaded up ... Had a couple shoulders and a couple bags of chicken inside ... wife wasn't thrilled as I was invading her fridge but eh...
20141021_200706_zps0a7rioho.jpg

1am getting the fire started ... I made a change to my firebox and got a heavy piece of metal with a lip on it that I can slide out to help dump ash ... will let y'all know how that goes.
2014-10-23%2001.19.29_zpsdtdufpft.jpg

Using Pecan and Oak for this cook ... dialed Big Blue to @225 ... going low and slow.
20141023_022015_zpsevmrevec.jpg

Loading up 14 pork shoulders, wasn't sure they'd all fit. Will cook the pork first and while they are resting will start the chicken. Sorry the shot is a little blurry ... shoulders are rubbed down with my own home made rub ... soaked them in iced down Apple Juice and a bit of vinegar for about 3 hours before rinsing them, patting them dry, applying rub, and the kissing them with smoke.
2014-10-23%2001.59.28_zpstod9sjzy.jpg

Will be sure to post more to this thread as the cook progresses.

Also - I need to give a shout out to my fellow Texans whom I met at the Texas Brethren Bash last weekend ... y'all rock! Great people, great food, amazing memories, and talk about stoking the passion for more BBQ! Dang glad to meet y'all!

More to come!

Off to a great start! Looks like just another day with the cooker. Can't wait to see more pron.

You hear that? I hear the sounds of PETA picketting outside of your fenceline.

That is pretty bad arse you are cooking that much at 1 time.

Man, now that is a good way to spend a Thursday. Keep us posted. Great to meet you last Saturday by the way!

You're a madman!!
That's a fark-ton of meat but lookin' good so far!

Those look gorgeous. I love that color. I'd be panning / wrapping them soon, but that's just me.

So, what's the special occasion? Are the Brethren invited? :mrgreen:

I get leg quarters, trim fat and skin, apply my rub, put then on a pit at around 275 ... when the start probing 160s I dip them in sauce and finish them off. Usually about 20 more minutes. I like my quarters to be 170 (I like being on the safe side). After pulling I separate the legs from the thighs ... kids love legs and most adults go for the thighs.

You Texans do it right! Great cook!
Fill us in on the event.
No way you cooked that all to yourself.

Back