Thanksgiving Turkey test - will have pron

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm doing a test run on Thanksgiving today and want to make a good gravy from scratch. Have always just bought the jars.

So I'm looking for some pointers. I've seen people that collect juice from the pan that the turkey is in to make gravy and I'm going to do that but just want to know how I should do this.

My plan is to put the turkey on a grate in the pan so it's not just sitting in everything. In the bottom of the pan I'm planning on putting cut up carrots, celery, apples and onions. Anything else? Water in the bottom? How much? Or a juice (apple)? The neck and gizzards?

Then of course I have to take this juice and make the gravy is it just water + flour + turkey juice?

Any help would be great.

Will have pics later.

I collect the drippings under the bird. Keep some water in the pan to keep it from burning. While the turkey rests, strain the drippings through a sieve. Separate the fat and then boil the drippings to cook off the water. After you've boiled off some water, turn heat to medium. Use some chicken broth and corn starch to make a slurry and add to some to the drippings, stirring constantly. Add small batches of slurry until it's the desired thickness. Voila! Turkey gravy

Did you find a Ho-Ka turkey?

I used a mix of turkey stock (preferably fresh made with the neck and giblets, but boxed works, too) and white wine in the pan. For the gravy I use a gravy separator to get rid of the grease. I use some of the fat in a separate pan to make a roux to thicken the gravy. Sometime I have to adjust the seasoning, but most of the time it is good as it is.

Ron - I went to Sunset Foods in Long Grove where they said they had those year-round and I didn't find one but they had other turkeys so it all worked out. Am gonna order these Ho-Ka Turkey for Thanksgiving for sure.

Back