Rec Tec vs. Yoder?

A blazin' brand smoker was a very close third. I do like the fact that they are made a little over an hour away from me.

Any "must have" add ons (the wife is going to kill me). I'm going with the second grate but skipping the cover because it will be stored inside when not in use. Does anyone run thermometer wires through the door? Does it pinch the wires to much?

Any "must have" add ons (the wife is going to kill me). I'm going with the second grate but skipping the cover because it will be stored inside when not in use. Does anyone run thermometer wires through the door? Does it pinch the wires to much?

The probe ports are only $29 last I knew. Get one, two isn't needed IMO. The door can damage the wire but most importantly it messes with the positive air flow and screws up the grate level temp evenness. Do the port.

It's really pretty simple: Open and close the lids on a Yoder and a Rec Tec and you will buy a Yoder. Just have a look at the shipping weights it will give you a good idea of how well one or the other is built.

Just out of curiosity why would you choose a pellet smoker over your Backwoods? As someone else mentioned your money might be better spent investing in a high quality fan / temperature control system for your Backwoods or UDS, rather than a pellet grill.

I had a Rec-Tec BFG model which was brand new when I got it. I really wanted to like it but I had quite a few issues with it, and after a couple of months Rec-Tec took it back and issued a full refund. They worked with me for a while trying to troubleshoot it, but I'm running a BBQ food truck so I needed something that was working. I am very much a stickburner at heart and going to pellets really kind of "crushed my soul." While it was convenient it wasn't the same final product. I went back to my offset smoker for my food truck and that very first cook I noticed the difference in flavor instantly.

Just throwing this out there since you said you didn't like the GMG and I'm curious as to whether or not it was the GMG specifically, or was it just that pellets weren't for you?

I know full well the allure of a new smoker but if you prefer wood I would just stick with your cabinet smoker and look into a fan system to give you that same "set it and forget it" capability of a pellet cooker.

With the money you're looking to spend on a pellet cooker you could buy a high quality fan system, and a small generator to run it so you wouldn't ever have to worry about power.

Just out of curiosity why would you...

I think the better question would be "just out of curiosity, why would you respond to a 4 year old thread where the OP of the thread already decided what he would buy 4 years ago?"

I have done this many times on other forums.............not look at the date and jump in to an ancient thread......sigh

I think the better question would be "just out of curiosity, why would you respond to a 4 year old thread where the OP of the thread already decided what he would buy 4 years ago?"

I have done this many times on other forums.............not look at the date and jump in to an ancient thread......sigh

Haha, yeah, good point. Somebody else posted so it showed up as a New Thread. I read the OP but of course didn't bother looking at the date. It happens.

Haha, yeah, good point. Somebody else posted so it showed up as a New Thread. I read the OP but of course didn't bother looking at the date. It happens.
I'm just a sucker for any thread that involves a Yoder YS640. I love mine. Its a real challenge not to overdo it or get carried away with purple prose and praise.

My buddy has that same exact Rec Tec and I have the Ys640s. My Yoder is so much heavier and better built. The Rec Tec is great.

Well, this article is great. In the end they recommend the RecTec (obviously) but they missed quite a few of the "pros" including the kick ass customer service, the better wheels, the fact that the auger is shorter and the pellets do not have to travel as far, you can use any pellets (there's one exception which I think was mesquite?) without voiding your warranty.

Yeah, I started reading this and was confused when I read my own post. Didn’t notice the date till then either.

There has been a lot of activity in the market since this was posted.

Back