tough chicken skin

Toxic q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any of you guys get tough chicken skin sometimes? I can get the bite through no problem but sometimes it feels alittle tough or rubbery. If so how do solve that problem if you dont mind telling? Thanks

How are you cooking it? What are cooking on? What temp?

Haven't had an issue our chicken skin.

Toxic q, do a search at the bottom of the page on 'rubbery chicken skin' and you'll find thread after thread on the subject, with varying opinions. Judges are only looking for bite through skin, vs. skin that pulls off in one piece. Scraping skin and cooking at 300F gives me edible skin. You'll find 50 other opinions.

I cook on drums at 275 to 300. I do 30 minutez in butter bath then out on the grate to finish. Its not bad just seems like the tops dry out alittle is the way i can describe it. Thanks

Longer in bath. I cook skin side up in bath for about an hour, then flip for 15, then flip again for another 30 or so dip in sauce and set sauce for 10. Dont have tough skin. Offset at 300.

High heat helps
This. Hot and fast.

Do chickens spatchcocked in my WSM at about 400 with no water pan. Maybe 25 minutes breast side down then flip. Usually done in 65-70 minutes total time.

u4a0ypl.jpg

EpK59rB.jpg

YpeuuEp.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Good approach, that. You can assist by dry brining overnight, and making a pocket on the breast and putting some oil (not butter) in it. If it still isn't working, mix some baking powder into the dry brine.

I can't believe I have read this far and no one has said mayonnaise.
Started a thread in the wood pile over two years ago about foods people dislike and why. After all the recent mayo hubbub here thought the topic was relevant again.

Unfortunately the thread has been disabled due to some weird time constraint

mWfC9Z1.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance but I am trying to figure out what you folks are saying about a butter bath can you please explain thanks much...

Started a thread in the wood pile over two years ago about foods people dislike and why. After all the recent mayo hubbub here thought the topic was relevant again.

Unfortunately the thread has been disabled due to some weird time constraint

mWfC9Z1.jpg

Any thread can be replied to. Just check the box stating your aware of the age

Any thread can be replied to. Just check the box stating your aware of the age
Tried again. That option is not available. It now says, "This Thread is more than 869 days old, you can't reply to it."

Not sure what the cut-off time is on threads not replied to. Also not sure why a cut-off time was instituted.

edit: Tried again. You are correct. Thanks!

Last edited:
Braise it. You said you are doing a butter bath, yes?

1) Make sure it's tightly sealed
2) Try doing it at the end of the cook instead of the beginning
3) If 1 and 2 don't work, cook it longer or at a higher temp.

Back