Use up pellets in Charcoal Smoker ?

rorkin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am thinking about shifting from a pellet smoker to drum and Box smoker both
fed by charcoal with wood for smoke.

Was wondering about using up my pellets by putting on top of the charcoal .

Would seem that it is not much different than wood chunks just perhaps burn faster.

Any thoughts ?

Should work good. The may burn up quickly if you just toss a handful on top of the coals. You could use a small cast iron smoke box or an a-maze-n tube to help with that.

I've cooked on drums for about 10 years and my current procedure is to add a layer of lump, two smaller chunks of flavor wood and a hand full or two of pellets. I repeat this three times to fill my charcoal basket, and will put a chunk or two atop the basket.

I get a nice light delivery of smoke throughout the cook. Drums tend to produce more white/gray smoke due to the fats dripping onto the coals so I don't see the sweet blue smoke like I do from my Eggs when using the same layering of pellets. For what it's worth my favorite pellets are a blend of flavors.

Last year at one contest i was set up to some folks, The guys name was Darren, and he was having a problem with his cooker on his big expensive trailer. Since I was using my pellet poopers he asked if he could come grab a couple handful of pellets to help his fire. i of course let him. When awards came around we finished 2nd in Chicken to him and Overall he got RGC to our 3rd overall so I made sure I was talking smack about him cooking on pellets.

I use pellets on a Kamado and as a starter for my firepit. One word of caution I have is not to put too many at once as it will spike up your temps

Has anyone found the pellets to produce quite strong flavor?

I've tried this a couple of times with 100% apple pellets and the flavor has been quite strong...

Last year at one contest i was set up to some folks, The guys name was Darren, and he was having a problem with his cooker on his big expensive trailer. Since I was using my pellet poopers he asked if he could come grab a couple handful of pellets to help his fire. i of course let him. When awards came around we finished 2nd in Chicken to him and Overall he got RGC to our 3rd overall so I made sure I was talking smack about him cooking on pellets.

That's how that Darren guy gets by, he uses the "little people" to advance his crusade...
Ed

Back