3-2-1 for most everything

SmokinBerto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
3 hours unwrapped 2 hours wrapped 1 hour unwrapped. That's the way we roll, most of the time.whether it's ribs, a chicken or a brisket. Modifications sometimes necessary depending on the meat temp but that's where I start most everything. As I posted elsewhere I have to smoke 40# of pork loins. I'll be using 3-4 UDS'. I'm planning for a 6 hour cook. Does this appear doable? In advance thanks for your input.

Pork loins cooked for 6 hours sounds really long. You only need to cook them to 140 degrees. Even at 225 I would guess the loins will take an hour, hour and a half, tops. At 6 hours you will probably have shoe leather.

I would cook around 275-300 to an IT of 140 and pull. If you had 1 or 2 loins I'd say cook slow and reverse sear, but with 40#, it will probably be too much to handle. Good luck!

How do you plan on serving (pulled, sliced, ect.)
give up some more details on the cook and maybe the experts (not me) can help out. Plenty here have cooked for large groups and events.

And id like to know bout that 6 hr chicken.

I tried it on ribs a few times. I didn't like it. I go full unwrapped on ribs, about 60/40 on pork, and it's possible on a brisket, but not always. Whatever works!

I cook hot and fast so 3-2-1 does not work for me. Really interested in the wrapped chicken.

3-2-1 Sounds like a signal to shoot, or a signal to ignite, or a signal to run. Nothing in bar b que is that exact, unless you are talking about how to lay out a snake in a kettle for a long cook.

Not to pile on the OP, but don't try to put limits or a time frame on cooking some que. It will result in a failure every time. As said on here all the time, "It's done when it's done, and not before". A hard lesson for me to learn by the way, when the wife/guests, etc are asking "Is it done yet?" Be firm, and use tried and true methods to determine when a piece of meat is "DONE"!

Have a Blessed cook!

Omar

i have wrapped chicken breast with butter and made Pulled chicken.. i smoke for about 30-45 minutes then wrap for about 30 with the butter Chicken comes out pullable and soft.. i recommend trying it.. but not 3-2-1 on chicken that is entirely too long

The typical chicken found in a grocery store cooks much more quickly than a laying hen or soup chicken/rooster. Chickens that have lived a year or so and had the ability to run around outside and develop muscle will take 5 or 6 hours to cook to an edible state. Grocery store chicken cooks in about an hour or thereabouts, depending on method, temperature, etc., because they most likely lived their life in a cage. They were not allowed the opportunity to go outside, run around or develop muscle tone. I was shocked at the difference in cooking time when I found out the hard way. :tsk: The meat of a chicken athlete is dark and has volumes more flavour than grocery store chicken, the extra cook time is well worth the effort.

The typical chicken found in a grocery store cooks much more quickly than a laying hen or soup chicken/rooster. Chickens that have lived a year or so and had the ability to run around outside and develop muscle will take 5 or 6 hours to cook to an edible state. Grocery store chicken cooks in about an hour or thereabouts, depending on method, temperature, etc., because they most likely lived their life in a cage. They were not allowed the opportunity to go outside, run around or develop muscle tone. I was shocked at the difference in cooking time when I found out the hard way. :tsk: The meat of a chicken athlete is dark and has volumes more flavour than grocery store chicken, the extra cook time is well worth the effort.

from egg to table in 45 days.....SMH

I have tried 3-2-1 with ribs, and really haven't had much success. I usually smoke for 3 hours, and then wrap. I'll check them after an hour, and maybe go for another 30 minutes... Then I take them out to firm up a bit. Maybe an hour tops, but I'll start checking after 30 min to see if they are ready. I haven't done ribs without wrapping yet, just because I have had good results this way. I do want to try it though.

Back